Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Getting Ripped While Gymnastics Training

Randeep Walia

Jon Douglas

But still, most of the time, observations are made based on facts, or arise from facts.

Subjective impression from / explanation for objective phenomena based on context of related knowledge to date. Getting off track imo ^_^

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

Twice have I written a short reply to this topic and twice have I decided against getting involved.  :ph34r:

• Upvote 3

Colin Macdonald

But still, most of the time, observations are made based on facts, or arise from facts.

Observation is certainly a part of the scientific method. But the observations are subject to verification through experimentation. The danger is simply saying 'I see it, therefore it's true'. There are absolute truths in the universe, but our individual experience and perception is highly subjective.

We of course can't go through life performing experiments on whatever we see, so I think it's generally easier and more accurate to rate your own beliefs based on approximate degrees of probability. You can separate your own ideas into things that are more or less likely true, instead of simply fact or fiction. That way it leaves you more open to modifying your beliefs when new contradictory information is presented.

• Upvote 2

Joshua Naterman

There's a big difference between:

1. Saying that you have observed this *explanation of event* happen under these circumstances *explain circumstances*, and perhaps providing a framework that includes the available objective evidence (that has a solid foundation of replicated research) that you believe supports your hypothesis regarding the mechanism that causes the event or phenomenon you observe, but that substantial verification and additional research is needed before anything can be pencilled into The Books.

and

2. Saying that you have observed this, *explanation of event*, and that your explanation is what is happening, because you have read this and that, or seen this and that, or heard this and that. Period, or at least until YOU can prove me wrong.

There are a lot of us that operate more similarly to #2 than #1, including a lot of scientists, and that is not an approach that is oriented on truth... it is oriented towards being right.

Being right feels good, but it keeps us from growing as people, and I personally do not believe that #2 is a healthy approach.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.