Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will I lose strength because of iM?

Simon Mihelcic

Simon Mihelcic

So it's been 2 years since i started working out. i mostly did basic stuff like push ups, dips, pull ups...in 2 years all i gained was endurance in those movements. i did achieve some strength moves like frontlever and one arm dead hang pull up but thats probably because i loved to do pulling movements and did them more. i was never close to lets say planching. In those 2 years i didnt do any mobility work so im very stiff. I bought H1 and F1 but i decided to start at the begining because of iM. i dont want to lose the strength gains i achieved because of mobility work... my question is should i train like i used to 1 to 2 times a week (plus some mobility work)  to maintain the strength i achieved, combined with H1 and F1 or completely disregard the strength gains i have achieved and just keep on continuing with only F1 and H1?

• Upvote 1

Nicholas Sortino

If you were able to obtain more advanced moves like the 1-arm pull up and front lever then I absolutely understand not wanting to lose that.  Perhaps as part of your warm up do an easy set (half what you find hard) of these moves to maintain them.  Or add them in at the end of the workout if you prefer that.  I wouldn't neglect them entirely if I obtained that level of strength.   Similarly I add pull ups to the end of most workouts because I don't want to lose those and they are necessary for my job.

Eric HARDOUIN

Greater mobility will let you achieve greater control and greater strenght feats in the future, at least gymnastic wise (press hanstands and everything on rings). Otherwise you'd have been stucked somewhere, with injuries ahead and the necessity to rebuild and restart way behind.  This I am sure of...

You should continue working the FL and OAP with the mobility work from F1 and H1 like what Nick_EOD said so you won't lose those skills.

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

I personally find that a single non-maximal hold 2-3 days per week for FL is plenty to keep current strength and actually see gains coming in from the Foundation work. I would probably do that with your FL and your OAC 3 days per week. 

Obviously you may need to adjust your volume, because we may not have identical needs, but the goal should be to identify the minimum amount of direct work that allows you to maintain your strength, not the maximum amount of work that you seem to be able to handle without interfering with your F1 and H1 training.