Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fat loss, mobility & pelvic/lumbar area joint pains in old farts

FREDERIC DUPONT

FREDERIC DUPONT

I've lost 25 pounds of fat in the last 4 months as measured by calipers (Dec 1st 2012 - Mar 31st 2013), & I've started F1 for 8 weeks (Feb 2nd 2013 - Mar 31st 2013).

I have noticed the following:

- occasional articular pain in the lumbar/pelvic area (level 3-5); it is not injury pain, but more like an old coupling starting to painstakingly move after years of being fused by dried grease. (years of efforts to keep this area immobile, as it is prescribed elsewhere to keep the lower back rock solid...)

- I also noticed a little bit of sciatic nerve pain in the right butt (level 2-4), hammie & calf from time to time in the morning, but nothing really alarming (on intense days, I took one NSAID and it helped; this happened 5 times). The sciatic nerve pain has not reoccurred in the last 3 weeks.

- Once in a while, an intense flash of pain (level 7-8) in the lumbar/pelvic area, more often while in bed and shifting position; once again nothing alarming, resetting the position and restarting the shifting move with the assistance of the arms prevent it from happening.

I think this is articular pain, but it could also be the small deep spinal muscle getting woken up, I don't know, to me it is very hard to say.

I am not worried (I actually think that this is the sign that something good is happening), but I was wondering if anyone else had noticed similar things happening, either after fat loss (I "heard" some articular instability could happen after fat loss), or after engaging in a new training routine involving increases in mobility?

Comments, sharing of experience, opinions, suggestions are welcome :)

Sebastian Schneider

Hey im kinda interested in your fat loss story, can you tell us more?

i.e. what did you change in eating/working out and stuff

Oldrich Polreich

I also noticed a little bit of sciatic nerve pain in the right butt (level 2-4), hammie & calf from time to time in the morning,

This happens to me sometimes after doing hip mobility for planche (especially when combined with training certain jumps same day) and this stretch: 

, combined with SMR using massage ball helps immensely. 

• Upvote 2

Rachid Tahri

Hello Fred! Funny that you mention this, I have also some issues but in the thoracic area! Since I got my key insight that the thoracic spine plays a major role in shoulder mobility I started to stretch this area. I mainly use a foam roller, with some additional stretches. When I am really warmed up I can go in a decent backbridge (far from perfect though). So far so good you would say...but the next couple of days my thoracic area feels completely locked and very stiff! Especially in twisting motions.

I also do not worry much about this since the stiffness tends to go away after one or two days. I have the idea that the body is going through a transitional phase with the new possibilities: especially if one has developed years of bad posture (I am an example) it  takes also a considerable long time for the body to adjust.

If don't do it already: try to experiment with magnesium at night (either dark chocolate, nuts etc...or pills) since it tends to calm down the nervous system.

• Upvote 1

FREDERIC DUPONT

Although this thread is not about fat loss, thank you :) - maybe I'll start another thread describing what I did and what worked for me, but don't expect a revolution in nutrition, although strict and precise, my dieting is fairly basic.

@ Oldřich Polreich, thanks for the piriformis stretch; I was doing figure 4 stretches, but I'll add that one, especially that it is convenient to do anywhere.

Yes Richard Tahri, you put words to how I feel: "I have the idea that the body is going through a transitional phase with the new possibilities" describes it pretty aptly. :)

Larry Roseman

Ditto - great job on the fat loss. Have you been at that weight before or are you in uncharted territory?

Where did you lose it from most?

My experience also is that I experience more general aches and pains when I'm lighter, 8 pounds below current.

It's ironic because less weight is supposed to be easier on your body. Perhaps it will pass. I ended up

putting some of the weight back on and the symptoms disappeared so can't say. Maybe there's less cushioning

in certain areas? Don't know. There are various tests to determine if the pain is due to piriformus syndrome though.

Regarding lower back, I use a roller over my SI joint and usually get a pop that helps with my mobility.  

I'm not aware that the lower back should be permanently fused though at times I guess it should be held so...

• Upvote 1

Rachid Tahri

My experience also is that I experience more general aches and pains when I'm lighter, 8 pounds below current.

It's ironic because less weight is supposed to be easier on your body. 

Wow! I have exact the same experience in opposite direction! I put 28 pounds of muscle (also fat) in a period of approx. 9 months but I feel much more flexible than before. I remember when I started my gymnastic journey I lost weight because I thought this would be more beneficial: to the contrary I was "ripped" with sub 6% body fat but I was as stiff as a zombie! Now I am fatter (approx. 8-10 % bf) and more muscular but also more flexible! Off coarse I am aware that stretching also does its work but the feeling is not that easy to put into words.

I don't know what this phenomenon actually is and would like to know if there are more people with such experiences.

Joshua Naterman

My lower back has insanely tight and inflexible since I tore some lumbar musculature a few months ago. I have to do the egg stretch, where you lie on your back and pull knees to chest (SLOWLY in my case, over the course of a few minutes). After that I do pelvic tilts, and between this and rolling on double baseballs in a sock, things are getting better. This is the primary roadblock to a really good pike for me, at this point. the bottom  half to two thirds of my spine is basically straight and I can tough the ground wtih my palms (barely) so lower thoracic and lumbar mobility is what I am lacking.

This has nothing to do with body fat for me at all.

The strategies people use for weight loss can often have unintended effects, but sometimes people just feel better at a certain (healthy) body composition. This isn't always 7% or something ridiculous like that :)

Nic Branson

5% bf felt not so good for me 8-10 feels much better. Mobility wise the BF has never had an impact.

Richard Hamilton

Hey Fred, I totally get what you're talking about and have a similar sensation in my lumbar muscles. I'm also getting strange nerve sensations in my glute and high hamstring area but this only occurs on my right side. My upper trap on my right side is also producing some new sensations after the H1 workouts.

Like you suggest, I put it down to the new stimulus allowing me to begin moving properly. Its a strange sensation as its one that I'm not used to but I like it because I know I'm making progress  :)

I've also lost a bit of fat since starting the F & H courses but I don't think there is any correlation between that and what I'm feeling. I put it down to Coach's mobility work doing it's job.

• Upvote 2