Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Which of These Stall Bars Are Best for My Apt?

Mitchell Rabushka

Mitchell Rabushka

I bought the whole Foundation Series and will do my best to progress through the ranks.  With that in mind I'm sure a good set of stall bars are desirable if not essential; hence I'm wondering which of these will be best to work the Foundation Series in my apartment:

1.  http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-By-Category/Upper-Body/Bailey-Stall-Bars

2.  http://www.artimex-sport.com/us/stall-bars?gclid=CObQ_f_VlbYCFZGiPAodJCcAOA

3.  http://www.amazon.com/3B-Scientific-Eucalyptus-Wood-Stall/dp/B008N3I93Q/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364139946&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=Bailey+Stall+Bars

The Artimex stall bars (#2 above) look like they have one of the bars about 3/4 up moved slightly forward; whereas the others have all their bars in a row until the very top bar.  I'm not sure which style is most desirable for our training.  Also, unfortunately I do not have wood working tools so making my own is not an option.  I'm open to suggestion for other stall bar options as well.  Thank you.

• Upvote 1

With only the pictures to look at, I like option 1.

The artimex may be good, but I'm not sure of that offset middle bar, and the fact that the rungs look to be very close to the wall. First time I saw them I thought they were backwards, but the offset bars indicate otherwise.

The last ones don't have as many rungs, and the offset bar is out too far for HLLs.

Mitchell Rabushka

With only the pictures to look at, I like option 1.

The artimex may be good, but I'm not sure of that offset middle bar, and the fact that the rungs look to be very close to the wall. First time I saw them I thought they were backwards, but the offset bars indicate otherwise.

The last ones don't have as many rungs, and the offset bar is out too far for HLLs.

Cole Dano, thanks for the reply.

I have the artimex. It is of good quality. Decent value. I eventually took out the offset bar in the middle; it proved bothersome. I am using the bars frequently now with Foundation 1.

Mitchell Rabushka

I've narrowed it down to the following two stall bars:

http://www.gibsonathletic.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=MS-21212&CatId={4F3D339E-F906-4550-B792-16448DF25C29}

and

http://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop-By-Category/Upper-Body/Bailey-Stall-Bars?gclid=CICz3pHKm7YCFciiPAodwioAMA&source=googleps

The first one is made by Gibson and the second by Bailey.  There is a big gap between the first and third rung on the Bailey unit and the lower rungs are spaced about 5 inches apart.  The Gibson rungs are spaced 8 to 9 inches apart.

I don't think there is any advantage to the gap in the Bailey unit and the Gibson unit looks more professional.

I'm looking for opinions and / or other options before I plunk down the cash.  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Vladimir Kelman

Guys,

I bought stall bars from Amazon which you linked above in last November. I didn't know about this site at that point, I just remembered how great it was to train on stall bars back in Moscow 30 years ago (I'm 51).  In USSR it seemed that every school or gym had stall bars.

Unfortunately, there are several drawback in 3B Scientific Eucalyptus Wood Stall Bar sold by Amazon. First, it was hard to assemble. But what's more important (I described them in my Amazon review):

"When I used a stall bar in a park in Moscow 30 years ago, rungs of that ladder weren't round, they had almost flat front surface (rounded just a bit) and the distance between rungs was bigger. As a result, when I raised my legs while hanging on a stall bar, my back was supported by *flat* parts of rungs. So, it wasn't painful at all to fully raise legs and to even turn upside down. I did it a lot, it was a superb training. With round rungs it is painful, unfortunately.

I'm thinking about writing to my relatives living in Moscow and asking them to took pictures and exact measures of that stall bar (it's still standing!), so I would made an exact copy by myself here in Maryland."

So, I'm know waiting for detailed measurements of that stall bar from Moscow to build my own. There is another resource for building your own - http://www.stallbars.com/  I wonder what experienced guys from this site think about it.

Mitchell Rabushka

Vladimir, thanks for the info.  Glad I didn't pick the 3B Scientific Eucalyptus Wood Stall Bar although it was tempting because of the price.  I've decided to go w/ the Bailey Stall Bars I linked to above.  I chose them over the Gibson Stall Bars because the rungs are close together and there is a gap between the first and third bars at the top just like the stall bars shown in the Foundation One videos and pics.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Vladimir Kelman

Hi again,

Are you already using Bailey Stall Bars? Do you like it?

What is the advantage of having that gap between the first and third bars?  When you hang on a stall bar and rise straight legs, which bar do you hold by your hands?  A top one which is in a plane, or top one which protrudes ahead?  (A picture or even video would be helpful, perhaps.)

When I try to do that exercise on 3B Scientific Eucalyptus Wood Stall Bar it is actually painful not in a back, but mostly on forearms, which are pressed against the second bar.  Eucalyptus Wood Stall Bar has a protruding top bar, but it's so far from the plane of other bars, it's useless. I wonder if they did any test on it before offering...

I was gonna say the Bailey's. 

If you were a big guy, I'd probably go with the Gibson's as they seem more slender. Depending on the width of each bar, a longer bar will be under more stress.

Especially if you work pike/shoulder stretch combos on the stall bars. On some stall bars, I don't do those because I swear those bars are gonna snap.

Mitchell Rabushka

Vladimir,

My Bailey stall bars will arrive this Saturday.

Regarding the gap between the first and third bars I saw a post by Cole Dano here:

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/7688-stall-bars-plans-looking-for-feedback-finished-w-pic/

where he states that "...Here we have stall bars in most gyms. It is very common to see them without the top extension. Rather there will be a couple of rungs missing from near the top which gives some room for the head to move into. This works very well and is an easier build."

And as I mentioned above, Coach's stall bars in his Foundation One pics and video's have the gap too.  This is what I know about the gap.

I would have had no clue which one to buy without the help of Cole Dano and Coach's Foundation One program.

Regarding hanging leg raises they s/b done on the protruding rung at the top.

Mitchell Rabushka

I was gonna say the Bailey's.

If you were a big guy, I'd probably go with the Gibson's as they seem more slender. Depending on the width of each bar, a longer bar will be under more stress.

Especially if you work pike/shoulder stretch combos on the stall bars. On some stall bars, I don't do those because I swear those bars are gonna snap.

Blairbob,

The following info may or may not relate to your stall bars depending on the type of wood yours are made from:

I talked with Bailey today and they told me their stall bar rungs are designed to hold 250 lbs each. They also told me their rungs are made of poplar which flexes before it breaks and that this flexion could give someone the perception that a rung is about to break even though it is only flexing.

In addition Bailey said their poplar doesn't just snap in two when it starts to break; instead you will hear a crack and it will splinter but not completely fail at first because their poplar is a stringy wood. Perhaps this would give someone time to pull out of a hold with not much more than a scare, but I still wouldn't want to be that person.

Anyway, I got my Bailey stall bars on Saturday and the wood and finish look great. Some assembly required, so I will have it up by the end of the week.

Mitch

Honestly, I have no idea of what the make of any of the stall bars I've been on. Many or most are handmade. I'm no longer at these gyms so it's hard to say.

• 2 weeks later...
Matus Michalicka

I am trying to buy stall bars now, but here in Slovakia it is impossible to find any with the top extension. All stall bars basically look like this: post-3146-0-67964800-1368005792_thumb.jp

Second bar from the top is moved little to the back and than there is a gap.

Will stall bars like this without top extension be sufficient for all the work in F series and beyond? 

Matus Michalicka

and what else should I be paying attention to when choosing stall bars?

Cole Dano

I am trying to buy stall bars now, but here in Slovakia it is impossible to find any with the top extension. All stall bars basically look like this: attachicon.gifc45d36379bfec28b63b5ed107e69511b.image.550x550.jpg

Second bar from the top is moved little to the back and than there is a gap.

Will stall bars like this without top extension be sufficient for all the work in F series and beyond? 

They work just fine with only the gap.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
Nate Alexander

Was thinking of the 3B Scientific ones from Amazon. Saw Vladimir's review on Amazon and the post here.

My question is: Why not just assemble it without one of the bars below the one where you will grip for HLL? Seems this would take care of the forearm pressure.

They are really affordable (especially with Amazon Prime shipping)  so I would think that a small mod like that would make it usable and in the reach of more gymnasts.

Douglas Wadle

I still say it's cheap and easy to make one.  Just need a drill/drill bit, a saw, 2 8' 2x6's, and 1 3/4" round oak (1 1/2" bows too much).  took me 2 hours and $70.  easy to offset the top rung a bit if you do it yourself.  Directions are listed elsewhere in this forum.  I like vladimir's idea of the flat front.  I've never seen any like that.  It would be more comfortable I think.  You could use hand railing instead of round for this effect, but would probably be limited in size availability - might need to go with 2", which would be a little big.

• Like 1

Keilani Gutierrez

I still say it's cheap and easy to make one.  Just need a drill/drill bit, a saw, 2 8' 2x6's, and 1 3/4" round oak (1 1/2" bows too much).  took me 2 hours and $70.  easy to offset the top rung a bit if you do it yourself.  Directions are listed elsewhere in this forum.  I like vladimir's idea of the flat front.  I've never seen any like that.  It would be more comfortable I think.  You could use hand railing instead of round for this effect, but would probably be limited in size availability - might need to go with 2", which would be a little big.

I got 1-1/2 Pine and it's held up fine (granted, i've only purposely used it for stretching purposes and not with constant exposure to my weight doing HLL)

Douglas Wadle

I got 1-1/2 Pine and it's held up fine (granted, i've only purposely used it for stretching purposes and not with constant exposure to my weight doing HLL)

I think it would do pretty well for most things.  The 1-1/2 i used before would bow on a lot of things, but did fine for hanging leg raises.  Glad it's working well for you.

Keilani Gutierrez

I think it would do pretty well for most things.  The 1-1/2 i used before would bow on a lot of things, but did fine for hanging leg raises.  Glad it's working well for you.

honestly, i wish the wood available would have been more quality(I noticed that different type's of ply's would flex differently and pine was the stiffest one i could find from the selection that Home Depot had at the moment)

we'll see how it fairs when HLL comes to play and constant use from the iM's. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dynamo,

How are you liking the Baileys so far? I"m thinking of getting one as well.

Thanks!

-Nash

• 11 months later...

Is anyone familiar with the Gladiator Wall? 

http://suples.com/gladiator-wall/

http://www.foeldeak.com/gladiatorwall.php?language=en

With free shipping until Dec 31, the price is right. Looks like there are less bars with larger spacing between them than normal stall bars. Would this be a good option? I am new - just started F1.

The main set of bars look very short to me, and with the top bar having such a large offset, they wouldn't work well for HLLs a stall bar staple. Side Lever Work would also be problematic with so little overhead reach. Those are just a couple of examples. I think they would wind up being very frustrating to use for GST in the long run.