Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ring Curls and Tricep Extensions

Ivan Kolak

Tyler Gibson

If you want bigger arms, just following Foundation as is and eating right will get you there. I guess you could add them in but it seems rather unnecessary. 

Joshua Slocum

There's no real need to: between RC and HBP work you're already getting a ton of tricep and bicep volume. 

However, there's also no reason you can't do them if you wish to prioritize upper-arm work. 

Thanks for the answers.

BTW I don't have access to ropes so when later Foundations come out I'm going to be on the short end of stick. :(

FREDERIC DUPONT

Nah, you'll figure out something...

Why worry about problems that don't exist yet?

:)

Well perhaps towels could come handy or weighted chinups on thick bar could compensate for lack of rope.

Because I'm a teen who lives on a village with no payed job. I'll have to persuade my parents to buy me a decent rope. How much length should it have? Is 10 m suffice?

FREDERIC DUPONT

Great, when is your Bday? ;)

I think 10m is too much; I am not sure I remember that accurately, but I think Coach mentioned 15 or 18 feet (that's 5 or 6m long, not accounting for the securing loop) - but you'll have to verify that with someone that knows for sure. :)

I would say doing additional biceps and triceps isolation exercises to have its merits in GST because the extra strength gained for biceps can help protect your inner elbows in straight arm work and your biceps tendon strength will develop faster with both bent and straight arm exercises while the extra triceps strength surely helps condition your triceps tendon and elbows for MU work which was what happened for me.

RC and HBP work doesn't stress the biceps and triceps respectively enough IMO even though you can get a lot of volume towards those muscles.

Joshua Slocum

I would say doing additional biceps and triceps isolation exercises to have its merits in GST because the extra strength gained for biceps can help protect your inner elbows in straight arm work and your biceps tendon strength will develop faster with both bent and straight arm exercises while the extra triceps strength surely helps condition your triceps tendon and elbows for MU work which was what happened for me.

RC and HBP work doesn't stress the biceps and triceps respectively enough IMO even though you can get a lot of volume towards those muscles.

The biceps and triceps aren't stressed enough for what exactly? Cross work? Foundation 1 is supposed to prepare you for Foundation 2. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no reason to expect anything more out of it. The foundation series is designed so that after completing the entire series, you will be prepared to move on to intermediate gymnastics strength work. If you want bigger arms sooner, then it makes sense to supplement with some additional work. But adding upper-arm volume to prepare for straight-arm holds is just getting ahead of yourself. 

Yes, cross work would be one example. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the approach of F1 or the Foundation Series. All I'm just saying is that additional or concurrent bicep and triceps isolation work would not hurt and could further benefit anyone.

What's wrong with getting ahead of yourself? And I don't mean getting ahead of proper preparation.

Joshua Naterman

Yes, cross work would be one example. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the approach of F1 or the Foundation Series. All I'm just saying is that additional or concurrent bicep and triceps isolation work would not hurt and could further benefit anyone.

What's wrong with getting ahead of yourself? And I don't mean getting ahead of proper preparation.

If done intelligently, this is fairly accurate. Except for the cross work... people won't NEED to do a ton of special prep if they follow Coach's elbow conditioning. It takes a long time to be ready for cross no matter what you do, and there is a much higher risk of people getting hurt. Cross is nastier than planche on the joints, and people get wrecked enough with poorly-informed planche training.

Unfortunately, there are two 100% for sure consequences to this approach:

1) Your workouts take longer, or you have to schedule an extra training session.

2) The likelihood of people actually being intelligent (and thus safe) in their approach is, according to member history thus far, unacceptably low.

Especially right now, it is a pretty good idea for everyone to stay focused on their basics, and get used to the workouts and the progression format.

Consequence #2, especially, is a bad deal.

Joshua Naterman

OP: All you need is 5-6 feet of rope for the Foundation work. A long rope is quite nice, but not necessary.

If you can get ~20 feet of climbable rope then that would be excellent, but don't freak out if all you can get is 5 feet. It will be enough.

• Upvote 1

@Fred

I've managed to convice them to buy me some rope. It will be at my disposal in about two-three weeks.

@Josh

Thanks. WIth feet that short is the only shortcoming that I need to go down a lot more compared to long rope?

Connor Davies

I think curls at least could be beneficial to preparing the bicep tendon.  I can't stand them myself, and my back lever gives me some elbow pain.  I know straight arm work is all about building tendon strength, but tendons get stronger concurrently with muscles (as long as you're not juicing) and curls are an easy way to do this.  Actually, I would even venture that if elbow prep was your goal, a dumbell would be even better as it's measurable and easy to quantify.  It's hard to tell exactly how hard your working with GST as angles change, bodyweight fluctuates and so forth.

But I'm sure you just want bigger arms, so if I were you I'd just eat more.  I've had more growth from cutting volume than from adding it.  Gives the muscles more change to recover and grow.

A more important question is why do you want bigger arms?  It's easy to add muscle mass if you're willing to add fat as well, but being heavier makes any bodyweight exercise harder, and progressing faster is going to get you stronger than the extra strength you'll need just to break even with your weight gain.

Yes Konstantinov can do 50 chinups weighing in at near 140kg, Bert Assirati pulled off an iron cross at 100kg, but chances are you're not those guys.  Yet.

Mind you, I've never impressed a girl with the size of my arms, so maybe I'm not the guy to be giving advice...

Jon Douglas

Yes, that's the primary shortcoming.

I think I may have asked this before, but how does climbing a vertical pole compare? I was doing my cirques on this before F1 came out, will this pass muster?