Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wide Grip Pullups

Robert Del Popolo

Robert Del Popolo

How far apart should I have my hands? I keep them at an extra half of my body with on each side

Example:

From A to B: 20 cm                  Body itself: 40 cm                     A to C 80cm

-------------------------------------

A \                 / C

\              /

\            /

\   __   /

B \ [__]/

I hope this explains it well enough, the reason i ask is because everybody understands something else and i dont know what to do. My bar has a set of grips which are simple way to wide apart for me to even atempt to use.

Thanks

Joshua Naterman

You should start out at the widest grip that you still have full control over your shoulders with.

Going too wide can be rough on unprepared shoulders. Over time, you'll be able to go wider.

If the outside of your shoulders is 40cm wide, and you have problematic shoulders, I'd start off around 55-60cm.

However, if you're at 80cm and you feel like you're in control, that is probably fine for you.

Joshua Slocum

How far apart should I have my hands? I keep them at an extra half of my body with on each side

Example:

From A to B: 20 cm                  Body itself: 40 cm                     A to C 80cm

-------------------------------------

A \                 / C

\              /

\            /

\   __   /

B \ [__]/

I hope this explains it well enough, the reason i ask is because everybody understands something else and i dont know what to do. My bar has a set of grips which are simple way to wide apart for me to even atempt to use.

Thanks

Hands at double shoulder width is a very good place to be. The super-wide grips might be for people with longer arms/wider shoulders. Note that if you go too wide, it puts a lot of stress on your wrists. Some pull-up bars will have wide grips at an angle to alleviate this issue. 

Robert Del Popolo

Yeah I got it now. I did some today although today wasnt really pullup day. Turns out double shoulder width is good, and any distance further doesnt change an aweful lot. I could even press out some reps from the gripers, (really need to measure them). Well I wanted to know how the ROM should be addressed, I as far up as I can, but the descent troubles me, should I go dead hang or stop right before? Because its extremely difficult to go from dead hang to the first couple of inches, because i feel my shoulder going from tense, to relaxed, to tense.

Thanks