Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

False grip on the front lever or no?

mikelmarion

Joshua Slocum

As a general rule, if you're not sure, you probably shouldn't use a false grip. They are useful for muscle-ups, because the no-false-grip version is much much harder. People often use them when performing straight-arm strength skills to make the skills a little easier. When you are doing your regular strength training, it's better to develop those skills without a handicap. 

• Upvote 1

I was doing False grip Front Lever's as statics yesterday and now have a lil bit of pain in the middle of my palm..never had that pain before doing these same statics with non false grip. I would stick to non false grip if your holding it for time.

Karri Kytömaa

False grip makes straight arm holds slightly easier, but only slightly. It is a useful transitioning tool when you have mastered the easier variation but the next step feels too hard.

It also adds some nice grip training, especially without chalk, hands sweating and you are trying to keep that straddled BL with all you got to not face plant. Talk about motivation :P

• Upvote 1

Klaudius Petrulis

False grip makes straight arm holds slightly easier, but only slightly. It is a useful transitioning tool when you have mastered the easier variation but the next step feels too hard.

It also adds some nice grip training, especially without chalk, hands sweating and you are trying to keep that straddled BL with all you got to not face plant. Talk about motivation :P

Sounds dangerous!!

Last night I tried BL with false grip, it did improve leverage but it also created additional stress on the wrist, too much for me to handle. 

• 2 years later...
Matthew Jefferys

Last night I tried BL with false grip, it did improve leverage but it also created additional stress on the wrist, too much for me to handle. 

That sounds very awkward. Where'd you feel the stress?

Alessandro Mainente

false grip decreases the leverage on the arms, so it makes the fl easier. but as joshua said i do not find it necessary

No, unless it's an element that uses the front lever to go into Muscle-Up. Or maybe Front lever to Cross, etc.