Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Proper use of BCAA, whey and creatine ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

This will be my first time on purchasing and using supplements ( BCAA, Whey, Creatine )

Reading the stickies posts one of them mention a plan for Post workout nutrition : 

Right after workout - BCAA + creatine

30 min later Whey protein

I also did a research on the BCAA and many people say that BCAA should be used during the workout due to the fact that it is a fast absorbing protein, so that would be like :

During workout - BCAA ( mixed in your water, so you can sip between sets )

After workout - Whey + creatine

There was another idea to take BCAA Post, During and after workout

In my pre workout ( 30 min pre ) im eating some fruit - Do i need to add some protein and/or creatine aswell ?

I dont want to let the product go to waste! I want to get the full benefit of it, but seeing that there are many opinions scares me.

Thank you !

Klaudius Petrulis

I use kre-alkalyn and beta alanine before my workouts.  Sometimes when I haven't eaten in a while I'll have BCAA's before too.

You won't get a consistent opinion in my opinion. Everyone has something that works well for them.  Hell, I know guys that drink their whey shakes before, during and after workouts along with creatine.

I realised I don't do too well with dairy and get all stuffed up, so I try to supplement as little as possible with whey.

I would say the most important thing is to just train and have a good post workout meal.  All the other stuff will have a minimal impact :)

G'day,

A couple of variables here. If you're having a solid meal roughly an hour and a half prior to your training that's substantially valuable in protein (say 20 - 30 grams) and you're having bcaa's during your workout then I would say you've got plenty of amino acids in the blood stream to keep you in a positive nitrogen state. Of course this further depends on the intensity and duration of your training but if it's no longer than around 40 minutes per say and you're having this meal before hand, I wouldn't categorise it as being necessary.

However, if you aren't able to commit to this meal at those values or at that time frame (maybe you're training first thing in the morning?) or if your training tends to go well over the hour mark then having something like whey at this time can help. In particular, if one is training first thing in the morning this will help to break the fast brought on by not being able to eat during sleep and will simply set more of a nutritionally supportive environment to commence training on. 

Two potential options here with the supplements you've got ready to use; 

1 hour and a half prior:

- 20 - 30 grams protein (chicken breast, turkey breast, beef mince....any lean meat really) If vegetarian I would supplement your whey here.

- Carbohydrate of choice and play around with amounts (preferably of low glycemic index i.e.. brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, vegetables)

- Small amount of essential fat either as dressing or to cook with (i.e.. extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil <-- CO is great to cook with, very stable)

During training:

- 3 grams bcaa.

Post-workout:

- 20 - 30 grams whey protein

- 5 grams creatine

- Carbohydrates (fruit here if preferred try for gram of carbohydrate for each kilo bodyweight) i.e.. if you weigh 70kg then 70 grams carbohydrate ideally.

Option two basically means If you're unable to structure this first pre-workout meal then simply have between 20 and 30 grams of your whey protein as well as a small amount of your desired fruit 30 minutes prior. Continue the rest as followed.

I was saying to another person before, check out Josh's nutrition thread on this forum, you can incorporate those supplements that you've bought into what he details, and it's very good.

Hope this helps.

Deins Drengers

G'day,

A couple of variables here. If you're having a solid meal roughly an hour and a half prior to your training that's substantially valuable in protein (say 20 - 30 grams) and you're having bcaa's during your workout then I would say you've got plenty of amino acids in the blood stream to keep you in a positive nitrogen state. Of course this further depends on the intensity and duration of your training but if it's no longer than around 40 minutes per say and you're having this meal before hand, I wouldn't categorise it as being necessary.

However, if you aren't able to commit to this meal at those values or at that time frame (maybe you're training first thing in the morning?) or if your training tends to go well over the hour mark then having something like whey at this time can help. In particular, if one is training first thing in the morning this will help to break the fast brought on by not being able to eat during sleep and will simply set more of a nutritionally supportive environment to commence training on. 

Two potential options here with the supplements you've got ready to use; 

1 hour and a half prior:

- 20 - 30 grams protein (chicken breast, turkey breast, beef mince....any lean meat really) If vegetarian I would supplement your whey here.

- Carbohydrate of choice and play around with amounts (preferably of low glycemic index i.e.. brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, vegetables)

- Small amount of essential fat either as dressing or to cook with (i.e.. extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil <-- CO is great to cook with, very stable)

During training:

- 3 grams bcaa.

Post-workout:

- 20 - 30 grams whey protein

- 5 grams creatine

- Carbohydrates (fruit here if preferred try for gram of carbohydrate for each kilo bodyweight) i.e.. if you weigh 70kg then 70 grams carbohydrate ideally.

Option two basically means If you're unable to structure this first pre-workout meal then simply have between 20 and 30 grams of your whey protein as well as a small amount of your desired fruit 30 minutes prior. Continue the rest as followed.

I was saying to another person before, check out Josh's nutrition thread on this forum, you can incorporate those supplements that you've bought into what he details, and it's very good.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice ! 

Nic Branson

I think the above study would need to take into account the levels of head trauma and concussions that take place in those sports.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.