Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Foundation 1 vs. Handstand 1

Dirk Drollinger

Dirk Drollinger

Hello All!

I have a question concerning the relation of Foundation 1 vs. Handstand 1.

I am 47, a little bit out of shape and with no gymnastics background but highly interested in movement, gymnastics and getting fit again. Furthermore I have two daugthers, 12 and 15 who are doing gymnastics. So after reading and watching videos about BtGB and the new programs for a while now I thought it would be a good idea to give them a try.

Should we start with Foundation 1 or Handstand 1? How are both programs comparable and where are they different? Can the programs be combined in the beginning or would that be too much?

Bonus question: how far will the complete Foundation programm will lead, especially with respect to equipment? Will it be more into real gymnastics training later on or still be foundation training with respect to strength, mobility, etc.?

• Upvote 1

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

There's no F1 versus H1; they love and complement each other. 

- You should start with both.

- HS1 it is a skill program, with a ton of special mobility regarding to HS. F1 it is a Gymnastics Strenght program, with a ton of mobility too.

- Like I said, they complement each other very well, and not takes so much time, so you'll be ok.

- For everything on F1 material there are furniture that can be used with no problem.

- For the moment, F1-F4 it is based on 7 GST exercises; the future is unknown.

I hope it helps. 

Welcome my friend :D

Hayden Whealing

I haven't bought H1 (yet) but foundation one starts with exercises and volume levels that are suitable to those without much of a fitness background. Plus the mobility work is excellent.

FREDERIC DUPONT

I agree, you should get both F1 & H1, but if you really have to choose one only, F1 is probably better to ease back into a physical activity.

I am 49 and in rather good shape from karate, but I wish I had have access to these two programs 4 years ago when I got back into regular training, it would have prevented a lot of the injuries I am busy fixing up now.

The two courses can be done together, at a pace and intensity suitable to your present condition. They complement each other very well.

It is unknown how far the full Foundation course will take you, but it doesn't really matter, you'll be plenty busy just with F1for quite some time. :)

Your two daughters doing gymnastics is an added bonus;  you'll be able to speak the same language, share experiences and training together.

Equipment wise, you can make do with what is available and a little creativity, but you'll likely be happy to install a pull up bars, acquire some rings, and also stall bars. Later on, a climbing rope will prove itself useful.

Eric Heiden

- For everything on F1 material there are furniture that can be used with no problem.

This isn't really true.  Like Fred said - you'll need rings, and you pretty much need stall bars.  Some kind of dipping station will also be needed.  Sometime after F1 (F2-4) we are all presuming that a climbing rope will be necessary as well.  Still - the majority of work is done without anything but floor space and effort.

Klaudius Petrulis

You can combine both of the programs and that is what I would suggest. If you want to take it slowly I would recommend getting F1 and then maybe adding H1 in a few months.  Though the H1 mobility work is amazing, so if you're not able to do a tripod yet, you should train F1 and the H1 mobility stuff.

The great thing about this training is that if you do it right, you will prevent injuries, get strong, and be mobile into your advanced years.

Guest SuperBru

Get both. I just purchased F1/H1 and it seems pretty easy to integrate H1 into F1. Depending on your cycle you can just add in a H1 day into your week and voila there you have it.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Mullin

Another vote for getting both since they do complement each other.  You may just want to do F1 twice a week and H1 twice a week to start.  Coach really did scale them so that almost anyone can start, learn and get stronger.

Good luck to you and your family.

Larry Roseman

Taking a fresh look at ordering and am wondering about the workout generator. Is there more information about this,

and what it produces?   

Curious since it's all online now has GB has considered offering the program(s) as a monthly subscription as well? I've noticed some people for example, students or the not-working, who seem interested but who are not able to purchase the program up-front. 

Joshua Slocum

There is no workout generator right now.

Using the word "compute" to describe how you plan your workout is blowing things way out of proportion. At the beginning of each week, you look at a chart, and it tells you exactly what to do. If anything, it's more simple than trying to structure your own workout. 

When one skill is more advanced than another, you work them both at their respective levels. So if you are very strong and mobile in one area, and either weak or immobile in another, you can do advanced work in the first and more basic work in the second. 

Klaudius Petrulis

The email did not say release was imminent. The email said the framework was being installed.

The generator will be out soon. Even it the release is delayed hundreds of people seem to be okay with scheduling their workouts. It's not rocket science.

Larry Roseman
Please don't read anything into this other than genuine interest in the product.

I am aware that it's a bonus and am not looking at it any other way.

But I am still saying that it may a difference to me personally.

So ... is there any further information available about its features, what it will do? 

Will it integrate F1/H1?

No pressure. Just  interested.

Thank you ...

Klaudius Petrulis

I assume you plug in your current pe/wk and it cranks out your reps and sets for that week.

From what I recall it will support both F1 and H1

I'm not expecting too much else, but we'll see when it's done :)

• 1 year later...
Ido Arseneau

Hi everyone,

I would like to know how to program the F1 and HS1 together. Would you guys just do them one after the other as it is not that much volume? 

thanks