Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The perfect one arm pushup ?

Deins Drengers

Deins Drengers

Hi !

Is it possible to do a perfect one arm pushup ( with both feet together and not separated) ?

• Upvote 1

ADRIANO FLORES CANO

I don't know, but in Youtube there are already people trying it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Mullin

I am sure the F1 progressions for planche will get you there.  Also, Jim Bathhurst's 'Beast Skills' tutorials did have a good OAPU progression.

Paul

Yes, it is possible to do OAP with legs together the whole time. I've done them before with some bending at the hips and seen a few on youtube by others. If you are talking about one with straight body (no bending or twisting) throughout the whole ROM with the hand under the sternum, then I've never seen anyone who achieved it and don't know if it is possible since it requires superhuman like triceps.

Training planche could help you get the legs together OAP if you already have some decent triceps strength from other stuff. OAPs also don't transfer over well to other exercises in GST.

Connor Davies

I think the standard definition for a perfect one arm pushup is feet together, arm tucked, chest parallel to the ground.  Most people don't do two arm pushups this way ;)

I've heard it's impossible, but some people are pretty close.  I think someone will crack it one day, just like the one arm handstand pushup.  It'll happen eventually.

I think the standard definition for a perfect one arm pushup is feet together, arm tucked, chest parallel to the ground.  Most people don't do two arm pushups this way ;)

I've heard it's impossible, but some people are pretty close.  I think someone will crack it one day, just like the one arm handstand pushup.  It'll happen eventually.

Oh ok, then I've done some that were very near perfect (may have even been perfect). I thought you were going to say that it needs to be done with a completely straight body to be perfect which I would say is impossible for this unless you are referring to a one arm diamond push-up which I think might also be impossible lol.

I don't know what kind of benefits training "perfect" OAPs give, but I can tell you guys that GST can get you "perfect" or near "perfect" OAPs with zero or minimal specific training.

The one arm handstand push-up is possible and has already been done by some hand balancers, but it is not how you think it is. I've been told that a crocodile press to one arm handstand is the one arm HSPU. A one arm HSPU cannot have the same mechanics as a two arm HSPU. Cai Yong does it without a kip.

Connor Davies

Sorry, I forgot to mention zero bending at the hips.  And I did mean to imply a strict handstand pushup, similar to a bodyweight one handed military press.

Sorry, I forgot to mention zero bending at the hips.  And I did mean to imply a strict handstand pushup, similar to a bodyweight one handed military press.

Then you are describing two movements which are impossible just like the CTI. The reason why they are both impossible to do in your description is because the balance is different from the two arm versions and so the mechanics are changed in order to balance for the one arm versions. You can't compare a one arm military press to a one arm HSPU because you are still balancing on two feet for the military press and you use your wrist muscles to stabilize the bar.

Connor Davies

So, clearly, considered impossible.  So far no-one has ever done it.  Doesn't stop people from trying....

They can try all they want, but they will NEVER succeed simply because of the reasons I stated above. I'm sorry it may sound harsh, but I'm not hating on people who try, I'm just mentioning the truth.

It is impossible because you would have to bend or twist at the hips to balance as you go down. One way is to keep the hand under the sternum for the whole ROM to make it remain straight the whole time which would turn it into a one arm diamond push-up. I was assuming he didn't mean the one arm diamond variation, but this variation takes immense triceps strength and it might be impossible for anyone to have such triceps strength to do one. Of course I'm just guessing it might be impossible to do the one arm diamond, but I'm certain the it is impossible for the regular OAP to be done with straight body due to the need to balance.

Andrew Long

Ahh okay you were referring to different hand placements of push ups. If I saw someone do what you call a single armed is diamond push up I would just call it a perfect one arm push up because it should go without saying that you need to have your hand in for balance for the perfect one arm push up and I think that it would be done. I wonder how much force you would be producing doing that.

Connor Davies

I thought the one arm planche was impossible, but just today I saw a photo of Professor Paulinetti doing exactly that.  (Fair enough, his body was turned somewhat, but the arm was straight)

Many impossible things have been accomplished before (sub 10 second 100m anyone?  Man on the moon?)  While you're going through live making convincing arguments that it can't be done, someone just may pull it off.

I feel I should note I'm not trying to be rude, condescending or insulting, but impossible is just a word.  ANYTHING may well happen someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I've been busy. 

The reasons you listed above doesn't disprove the reasons I listed that make them impossible. I stated that the need for balance in a OAP and OAHSPU is different from the two arm counterparts so the body orientation and mechanics have to change in order to balance (e.g. twisting/bending). 

I thought the one arm planche was impossible, but just today I saw a photo of Professor Paulinetti doing exactly that.  (Fair enough, his body was turned somewhat, but the arm was straight)

I hope you realize that saying his body was somewhat turned out is akin to saying that his body is twisting or bending in a OAP. This just proves my point that the mechanics or body orientation for one arm skills has to be different from the two arm counterparts. A one arm planche with straight body like in a regular planche is IMPOSSIBLE. Similarly a OAP and OAHSPU with the same mechanics and body orientation as the two arm versions are also IMPOSSIBLE. Besides, that photo of Professor Paulinetti's one arm planche was more like a flag and the arm was a bit bent, but that is irrelevant.

Many impossible things have been accomplished before (sub 10 second 100m anyone?  Man on the moon?)  While you're going through live making convincing arguments that it can't be done, someone just may pull it off.

I feel I should note I'm not trying to be rude, condescending or insulting, but impossible is just a word.  ANYTHING may well happen someday.

Those things you have mentioned were actually possible within human limits in the beginning. It was just probably due to ignorance that people claimed that they were impossible back then. Unless I'm wrong about OAPs and OAHSPUs have to have different mechanics in order to balance (which I'm pretty sure I'm right), then what you say is probably possible. I'm pretty sure it is also safe to say that running sub 7 seconds 100m is beyond human limits and thus impossible.

I am not trying to be rude or condescending either, but possible is just a word too. You can't deny that there are some things in the world that are just impossible like how humans would never be able to fly like birds. 

I would also like to mention the OAP I'm talking about is with the hand under the shoulders or to the side of the chest throughout the whole movement which I consider to be the direct one arm counterpart of a regular standard push-up. I am aware that a OAP with the hand under the sternum throughout the whole ROM can be done with a straight body, but I would refer to that as a one arm diamond push-up.

• 2 weeks later...
Andrew Long

i think if you are using one arm then the only classification should be a one arm push up reardless of where your hand placement is.  A diamond push up is called that because form a kind of diamond with your hands together.  calling a push up with one hand different things seems pointless.  also I wonder how impossible it would be without rotation and hand below shoulder.  I can hold myself at the top part of a one arm push up and hold myself in a bent position with no rotation (hand below shoulder)  without any rotation and i am rather weak.  I don know how much strength would be required to move through the position without rotation but to consider that even someone like me can hold those static positions without the rotation then perhaps it is possible?

• 4 months later...
Yaad Mohammad

I dan so one arm push-ups with legs together and body parallel to ground and chest touching ground. I just shift my hips a bit to the side, otherwise it's not possible to balance.

Markus Klein

On the DVD "Convict Conditioning - Prison Style Push Ups" Master RKC Max Shank performs them in picture perfect form. Just as described in the Book with feet together.

On the DVD "Convict Conditioning - Prison Style Push Ups" Master RKC Max Shank performs them in picture perfect form. Just as described in the Book with feet together.

I've seen clips of it on Youtube and they were done with a hip bend/twist as well and weren't completely straight. How is it described in the book?

Connor Davies

I've seen clips of it on Youtube and they were done with a hip bend/twist as well and weren't completely straight. How is it described in the book?

The book actually mentions that there should be no hip bend.  The video contradicts the book.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Old topic, but concerning the OAHSPU:

http://dashcancelfitness.blogspot.ca/2013/08/mission-complete.html

The video and the blog are from the same guy. In that blog post, he says he just got a one arm headstand push-up against a wall. In the video, he uses a lot of side bend, and doesn't make it all the way up. But in the blog, he says he used good form, and I believe his form is probably decent.

I'm convinced that it is possible to do a one arm handstand push-up that looks more like a conventional handstand push-up than a crocodile to one arm handstand. But the person who will do it will not only need to be an excellent handbalancer, he will need superior genetics and crazy strength/weight ratio like Matthew Shoffner above.

Thought these news might interest a few people.