Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Aerial straps (circus): nylon vs cotton coated nylon vs canvas

Vagabond

Hi everybody! I assume a few here are doing straps, since I've seen a few topics on the subject and a few videos from members of this forum.

For a while, I've had canvas straps, but they're the most abrasive things I've ever wrapped around my wrists. I used to train on them regularly and performed on them a few times, but with time, layers of dead skin, sweat and blood made the loops even more abrasive, and even after washing them, it stays the same. Plus, one of the straps is somehow now shorter than the other by 2-3 inches, and they're not my own either.

Time to buy a pair for myself. A good pair, that won't make my wrists bleed (as much). I know there exists differently made straps, because I tried the pair they use in Cavalia, and it felt sooooo gooooood compared to the old canvas ones. They were black, and they looked like fairly thick seat belts. They were either nylon or cotton coated nylon.

The place I want to buy my straps at (I'm also going to get a pair of handstand canes from them soon) sells both nylon and cotton coated nylon straps, and they state that the cotton coated ones are more comfortable for the hands than the purely nylon ones.

Has anybody tried the three types I'm talking about, and confirm that the nylon ones feel several times better than the canvas ones?

Thank you.

Happy note: yesterday, I was messing around trying to get back meat hook from dead hang (using only one arm) on a hoop, and I got it! A year or two ago, I was trying to figure it out, but couldn't, but yesterday, the technique just got clearer and I could do it, and that's what motivates me to hurry up and get back to straps. This time, I had a friend (an other circus fellow, an aerialist) compare my technique to video techniques, and this helped tremendously (there's no one to teach me either advanced hand balancing, either advanced straps around, so I always train alone).

Joshua Slocum

Happy note: yesterday, I was messing around trying to get back meat hook from dead hang (using only one arm) on a hoop, and I got it! A year or two ago, I was trying to figure it out, but couldn't, but yesterday, the technique just got clearer and I could do it, and that's what motivates me to hurry up and get back to straps. This time, I had a friend (an other circus fellow, an aerialist) compare my technique to video techniques, and this helped tremendously (there's no one to teach me either advanced hand balancing, either advanced straps around, so I always train alone).

Similarly, it can be tremendously useful to take videos of yourself for review. You'll see all kinds of things that you couldn't simply feel. 

I agree! I did it a little bit with handstands last year, and it was helpful to improve my form. I should just bring my camera to training more often. :) Part of the problem for me was also confusion about the technique in itself. At the end, it was fairly simple: start in a one arm hanging straddle l-sit, with the free arm very extended by the ear, or beyond. Then roll the shoulder to a one arm german hang position, lift your hips and lift the leg opposite to the arm you're hanging from so your body arches back.

yuri marmerstein

In my experience cotton straps are more comfortable on the wrist but more abrasive on the skin

Nylon straps hurt the wrist more but don't usually break the skin open. 

Never tried nylon coated cotton

Mikael Kristiansen

www.barry.ca sells quality straps. The most important thing you need to know is that stay away from straps that are purely cotton. If they do not at least have a nylon webbing sewn to it, do not buy them. Cotton is softer but rips much quicker than nylon, which is why they have the nylon safety on many of them. According to the rigger of my former circus school the pure nylon ones can be trusted for way longer periods of time than cotton and he told me he saw 2 pairs of cotton ones break in the former school he worked. 

The ones that look like seatbelts are probably the kevlar ones but they are pretty expensive.  I would recommend nylon as they are not as expensive and strong. If they are narrow they will be a bit rough to use for a while, but you get used to it. 

Thanks a lot to both of you! I guess I'll probably go for the nylon ones. Is it possible that Barry changed the way they make straps compared to a few years ago? Cause the circus I work at bought straps for me from Barry like 3 years ago, but I'm pretty sure they are pure cotton straps, since either one shrinked or the other one elongated (which I think is more likely to happen to natural fiber). Right now, their online store shows the white ones as being cotton coated nylon.

Have you guys felt the difference between Kevlar and nylon? Cause I remember the ones I tried at Cavalia felt so great. Would nylon be more similar to Kevlar than to cotton?

• 2 months later...
Strapsclown

I'm an aerial straps performer of three years and between building my own sets of straps and having them made by Barry and Another outfitter in Quebec, I have about 4 pairs.

It depends on the purpose, but if you are doing solo work, and don't want something too bulky. Get a nylon set or a Kevlar set from Barry. they are both rated the same but Kevlar typically has a stronger breaking strength per amount of material, which is why it costs about 8 times the price per unit length. Kevlar's from Barry are also 1.5 inches in width and nylons are 2 inches in width.

Barry has a set of nylons covered in cotton which is actually still quite abrasive (also 2 inch width), after you work it in, it is a little easier to use, but if you have 6" seams you might have some trouble holding the strap in your hand.

The most important thing you need to know is that stay away from straps that are purely cotton. If they do not at least have a nylon webbing sewn to it, do not buy them

Correct. You want a synthetic, you also do not want to wash these guys in anything but water.

As far as pain in concerned... "Welcome to aerial straps". You will lose skin, you might as well get black straps because soon they will be covered in your blood sweat and tears. Jokes aside, you can get 2" straps to minimize pressure, and just ensure you don't have and folds in your straps when you use them. Wear neoprene arm sleeves or wool ones from a cycling store if you need protection. Don't compromise safety for comfort.

Have fun!

• Upvote 1