Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Testament to Coach Sommer and Gymnastics Bodies

Michael Traynor

Michael Traynor

I have been suspiciously quiet lately so I thought I would share a little something; by way of a huge thank you to Coach Sommer and to you all as a community.

Three years ago (give or take) I purchased a set of rings off the back of a deep seated childhood fascination with gymnastics (frustratingly in this area of rural Scotland there was no facility when I was a child) combined with complete boredom with weight training.

I couldn't perform 3 pull-ups with good form, do a single dip, even hold myself in support, nor could I touch my toes, etc.

So I headed on over to google in an effort to educate myself and found this wonderful website (a story most of you no doubt share).

3 years later I am posting a video, none of this is the "best" I can do, not the most difficult skills and exercises I can perform, nor is it particularly mind-blowing but it is progress; proof of the strength and endurance GST can build in anyone. Particularly bear in mind that this is one set of 3 I use as a conditioning warm-up, after FSP and before my main workout and that it does not leave me particularly fatigued.

I started with some space and one set of rings, all the other equipment has been made, found, refurbished, saved up for or inherited.

I am now coaching the local Gymnastics Club and going through qualifications, doing a tiny bit to invest in the future of the sport.

So thank you Coach Sommer; I now have strength, flexibility and a path to increase them both, an awesome place to train and a great time teaching enthusiastic youngsters the joy of movement and mastering their bodies!

p.s. The Foundation Course is fantastic!

Here is the video:

• Upvote 12

Keilani Gutierrez

yeah boy! that's what im talkin' about! :D 

felicidades y bendicion en tu jornada! (congratulations and blessings on your journey)

Nice! :)

Good work Michael! Your gym looks wicked!

I'm in Newcastle, if you are ever in the area, Benfield gym is unbelievable and it would be cool to train with a fellow GBer!

Chris

• Upvote 1