Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need some good exercises for bicep and tricep development.

Walt Peacock

To get the ball rolling, any behind the back (BTB) pulling or curling on rings can target the biceps heavily. If you know what pelicans are, they are unmatched in my experience. A way to start of with them would be do them standing so you have more leverage.

Most low-leverage straight arm work will at least progressively build the biceps to an awesome extent.

Quick Start Test Smith

That video makes me want to shout, "Straighten your right arm!!"

Can't blame him too much though, it looks really hard.

Connor Davies

Yeah, pelicans are freaking crazy.  Has anyone seen a pelican done in the air?  As in, as a way to transition from back lever to planche?

Fully straightening the arms at the bottom jumps the intensity like crazy. His ROM was quite good compared to most. And yea with feet roughly at ring height it's a really challenging exercise. Anyway just a thought for the Op, like I said starting it at a much more advantageous angle, it might prove useful.

Straight arm pelicans and as the person above mentioned, full pelicans, are both rediculous. I suppose full-straight-arm pelicans would be something like a Van Gelder (E skill). So yeah, a lot of potential long term bang for your buck in one exercise.

@jwalker497, kinda reminiscent of a chest flye mixed with bicep curl I agree. But naturally, being behind the back, vastly more difficult than a rings chest flye.

Knees are one way, but to initially expose myself to the element I would do it standing. Rings at or near chest level, and lean from there. Then over time you can gradually lower yourself. Be thorough when warming up the shoulders before this exercise though :)

• 2 weeks later...
James Portillo

Besides pelicans the only bodyweight bicep intensive BA movement is ring curls with feet on the ground, similar to ring rows but curling the arms instead. Is that pretty much it?

Daniel Burnham

I won't give a list of exercises that work the bicep because one, there are really too many to put and secondly everyone seems to get sidetracked when trying to skip steps thinking it will make a certain muscle bigger. I will say one thing though. Look at a gymnasts arms... Do you think they get them strictly from ring curls and pelicans?

Coach has given us an entire program. If you eat and train correctly your arms will grow. If you have bicep specific weakness (not common) do dumbbell curls to help rehab them. To look like a gymnast you must train like a gymnast. Coach has literally given us an outline of how to train like a gymnast and has adapted it to adults.

• Upvote 2

Jordan Bruce

Prior to the release of F1 and H1, nearly all of my workouts for the last three years were either from BTGB or from the WOD's.  While there are some bicep specific exercises in the book, Coach seems to mostly focus on stressing the bicep tendon and muscle through integrated or multi-plane movements.  From my own experience, I can say that I have seen a MASSIVE change in bicep size over the years with only having done curl type exercises a few times a year.  Most of the development I think has come ring series, ring support holds, and perhaps even ring hand stands.  Prior to starting this type of work, I had very little development in my arms.  Now, most of my tshirts fit much more snuggly in the arms.  As others have said follow the path that Coach has laid out for us.  Eat smart and often and be patient.  If you stick with the regular progressions in F1, H1, and maybe supplement with some ring work from the book (provided you have the spare work capacity), I promise you will have well developed arms and extremely well conditioned shoulders, elbows, and wrists.  

Jordan Bruce

besides dips on Pbars, I love the victorian type of tricep exercises

http://youtu.be/i71qbS9yh20?t=33s

Is this your video?  If so, great job!  I really enjoyed watching the development of those Victorian specific exercises.  I also really liked that dream machine setup.  I think I've going to have to go buy some pulleys today :)

Is this your video?  If so, great job!  I really enjoyed watching the development of those Victorian specific exercises.  I also really liked that dream machine setup.  I think I've going to have to go buy some pulleys today :)

thx ;)

• 1 month later...

before starting a new thread, i warm this up...

nakayama to victorian from ali zahran!!!!!

Wow that was amazing!  :D I've never seen this guy before, but his victorian is about on par with Danny Rodrigues's. Thanks for sharing that!

I've seen your victorian too Andiswf, it's pretty nice too. Can you also do the Nakayama to victorian?

Wow that was amazing!  :D I've never seen this guy before, but his victorian is about on par with Danny Rodrigues's. Thanks for sharing that!

I've seen your victorian too Andiswf, it's pretty nice too. Can you also make a video of you doing the Nakayama to victorian?

HAHA! I will try the combination tomorrow!

guess it will be a  big fail :P

Recently I started to do some exercises for the victorian in sling-trainers! targeted my weakest part in the chain as far as i can see....

however, entering from the nakayama maybe the scapula retractors are in a good mood(tension) for the victorian!

i will give it a try!

for example: learning the maltese was for me easier to go from the vcross into the position because of the for-tension from the cross(in v cross I hold the cross position more on the front side!)

lol I misread and thought you said you do that combination or some progression of that for warm up. I have since edited my question just before I saw your reply. By the way how long were you training for the victorian?

here is a try from today :P

big fail !!!!

but it was verrryyy funny!

and i could feel the position from the nakayama way better!!! worth give it a  shot?!

the first one in this try felt even better :P

/watch?v=mceFLpGxNMc