Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elite Strength Trainer

Razz

I have thought about buying a small video camera but I'm trying to save my money for other tools and resources and a car right now and I've been leaving the EST at the gym instead of taking it home to save on stuff I have to carry while riding my bike because there is only so much room in my bag ( when I have to go by groceries ).

I'd appreciate the video as well.

matthew.percussion

I made the video. I also discovered that I can't hold a cross even at the highest level of resistance so I had to put my feet on a block. I tried a Maltese but lack the strength to do one still, so instead it was more like a back lever. Which leads me to believe that it is possible to train levers on these, I'll look into it more.

The video will be up soon. I've got one with a bunch of other stuff I did today, but will make another with only the EST portion in it.

How did it feel in that back leverish position? Tyler stated all work where the body is below the hands feels odd in the ongoing crossfit thread. I didn't think about trying that as I was trying to jump or roll into the back lever from a stand ( like inlocate to hang somewhat or reversing a skin the cat ).

I felt in the back and front lever that it caused my elbows to bend or they wanted to which was very odd.

Did you try going from a support and lowering to the cross? To me, they didn't engage till past 45 degrees under horizontal. My boys were bummed out they won't get to use these as their support isn't that competent right now. I forgot to try the block cross method.

matthew.percussion

Well, when I was doing the back lever my intention was to do a block maltese... Very pitiful, no? Might have been due to the fact that the block was too low. I think it helped quite a lot. On a good day I can hold a straddle back lever for a second or two but the back lever is still way out of reach, with the EST it felt like i was very close to getting my feet up; but I think that it was more of a back strength issue than an arm/shoulder strength one.

I did notice that they aren't particularly useful until you get nearer to horizontal, which makes sense from a physics stand point. I also noticed that it is more difficult to hold a support on the EST as opposed to on regular rings.

The block cross was much easier, but I still would never call it easy, maybe 10-15% difference if your legs are fully extended.

I have more free time tomorrow so I might play around with it more in the garage.

I'll keep you all updated.

Dang, I need to get a job! This is added to list of things I want to buy.

EA Skate 2, Street Fighter 4, Building the Gymnastic Body, foam roller and Elite Strength Trainer.

foam roller first on ebay, then maybe GB book.

actually, I'd buy the EST last unless your support and dip strengh is good

Thanks for the video matthew! I'm probably gonna end up making my own.. it'll feel much more satisfactory when i finish making it aswell instead of spending 100$ :)

if you have the tools and time, the one i linked earlier who made it himself said he did it for 35 bucks of materials.

David Picó García

Well, i have it and just tested (just one rep :oops: ). My general impresions:

It's bigger than i thought, but ligther (it's made from aluminium) the handle feels good and solid, the nylon bands are easy to adjust and feels comfortable. It has a neopren at the inside of the forearms band very thin, but i didn't feel any discomfort. Tried at the easiest position (although i think you can gain another point of moving the handle to another hole (there are three holes at the grip for adjusting for taller or shorter individuals, so the forearm sleeve bands are closer to the elbow).

I made a cross and it felt hard at the easiest position, but couldn't return pulling up. I was done without warmup or even dressed for sport, just arrived at home and tested at the stairs. Didn't try anything more because i was afraid my neighbour catch me hanging :oops: (see the video to understand). The place wasnt optimal, and without space and afraid of touching the wall). But i recordered for anyone interested.

5aCgD79eFAs

Interesting, did you notice and feel the difference of angle between each arm? One is higher/lower than the other.

David Picó García

No, i saw it on the video, perhaps is a bit of optical illusion because the cam was not just in front of me and at support it felt equilibrated but surely notice that i didnt know if i had room enough or if i would touch the wall so that could distorbed me (i watched during the descent to the wall). This wasn't the best mounting scenario :P and also my legs were touching a bit the handrail.

Anyway i'll check this in other video, because of possible strength/technique imbalance :?

Looking again the video i noticed that my left arm start to wide open before the other, perhaps because lack of strength or because the above.

• 2 weeks later...
David Picó García

Added a new video of the machine. For those interested this video is clearer

46aE_Q5DLs0

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know if this is still for sale? I can find it on google but via ringtraining.com you can not find it. It's christmas time so maybe its time to add this to my training gear :D

Joshua Naterman

You can make this on the CHEAP! All you need is a 2x4, a drill and bit, rope, and maybe some duct tape. That's the really ghetto way though :)

Step 1: Cut two pieces of 2x4 to the length of your forearm.

step 2: cut a groove into the top side of the 2x4 and tie a slip knot onto it , and put a second loop below for the hand. Do the same for the strap near the elbow, but pad that one with duct tape, paper towels wrapped in duct tape, or whatever padding makes you feel comfy.

step 3: drill holes through the middle and tie rope loops through them for the pull points!

You're done! It's ugly, it's cheap, and it might pull some hairs, but it works! Now all you need is carabeeners or some other method of attaching them to the rings or whatever.

Yeah that is true I was actually going to make one before but then realised the wood I have wasn't the right stuff, and since it looks like this isn't for sale anymore I will probably end up making my own sooner or later.. Got my drivers license a little while ago so no excuse for not going to get the wood now i guess :mrgreen:

Razz, email Tyler over at ringtraining.com. He was supposed to have another run of the trainers coming around with more improvements.

Joshua Naterman
:D No problem :) Finding that was more satisfying than studying for my final. I'm off to get what's hopefully my third 100 on my finals lol :)

Thought I might aswell give Tyler's answer here to anyone else that might be interested.

It is not in stock right now, but will be back in stock in about 10 days. So, it will be back on the site very soon.

Thanks