Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow Stand

Murray Truelove

Murray Truelove

As part of my morning handstand trainging I wanted to practice the elbow stand. However when it came to "kicking up" with my forearms on the floor, I was stumped. How do you actually get into the elbow stand? Do I walk up the wall backwards (like a handstand chest to wall) or kick up (like a headstand back to wall)?

I'm not very flexible is there a way I can determine if I have the necessary flexibility? Nearly all the videos I saw show very arched backs.

Is this a worthwhile pursuit to prepare me for handstands?

Cheers. 

I'm surprised you haven't gotten other replies so I'll try.

Elbow stand is great for opening the shoulders for those of us challenged by tight shoulders.  How you get into it varies from kick to press to walk up wall.  

You can start in headstand and then rock a bit back and press into elbow stand.  Sort of like inverted russian dips on the floor.  

You can start in dolphin, basically down dog with the elbows on the ground, walk the feet in and attempt to kick up from there.  Kick up is easier if you lift one leg first and then spring from the down foot.  The raised foot slightly overbalances to help bring your feet vertical without too much instability.

You can set up facing away from a wall and walk your feet up the wall until your legs are at a 90 degree angle to your torso.  If you still working the strength between the shoulders you can do this with your feet over the back of a sofa or table.  
  • Upvote 1

Murray Truelove

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried again today with little success, I think fear is a big factor - a headstand and wall handstand allow you to roll out but I've no idea how to abort if I start to fall in a elbow stand,

I like the idea of dropping in from a headstand, that way I'm already upside down and don't have to worry about kicking up. Lets hope tomorrow is more successful!

Stefan Hinote

Thanks for the reply. 

I tried again today with little success, I think fear is a big factor - a headstand and wall handstand allow you to roll out but I've no idea how to abort if I start to fall in a elbow stand,

I like the idea of dropping in from a headstand, that way I'm already upside down and don't have to worry about kicking up. Lets hope tomorrow is more successful!

After reading this thread I decided to try one from a kick up. Didn't kick up much, and I almost flipped over. Would have been entertaining if I had recorded it. :P

I wish we could get Cole to chime in here with his suggestions.  Elbow stand is tough, but, if you're new to working upside down or need to open the shoulders it's quite nice.  There is a lot of cross over to handstand with the ability to smoothly kick or press into elbow stand.  A fun suggestion is also to try elbow stand on one elbow with the other hand used as support and balance.  All cool variations working towards solid HS. 

Doing some backbend bridges before trying the elbow stand seems to help. It opens the shoulders and gives enough bend to the back to help get the hips over the shoulders. I think that the position is a little different from the handstand hollow-back position. 

To abort, roll forward (do them on a thick carpet)

I agree with the roll forward exist. Don't try to twist out on this one, it's really awkward. You'll also need to push your chest up as much as possible while doing the movement. Like, open your shoulders as much as possible. I've seen people practicing it facing the wall, doing tuck to straight to tuck to straight to tuck to...

And one arm elbow stand is one of the hardest balances ever! I have my one arm handstand for up to a minute, and I recently started working on headstand (without the hands), but the one arm elbow balance... I've seen a bboy doing it, I've tried it... and I find it so difficult!

You can also do a press to Elbow stand,I think its easier for me with the balance...And I think its will help to build a press to handstand

(I am not sure)