Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Parallel Bars too wide. Seeking suggestion on next stage of training.

Nilan

Hello all,

I have a very simple training related question. I have discovered to my dismay that the parallel bar I had been using is simply too wide. So now I seek suggestion as to the course of action I may take.

*Background story

There is a parallel bar near my house (5 min walk) which I have been using for the past 10 months or so to get strong at regular dips as well as the support position of the dip ( top portion )

I have reached a stage where I can do easy 3x8 dips as well as a 60+ second support hold on the parallel bars.

In BtGB, since the next course of improvement involves performing the Russian Dips, I tried to start integrating it for the past month or so. Nothing too much, simply trying to hold the bottom position of the RD with the upper arms resting on the bars.

However, I faced specatuclar difficulties in trying to raise myself up from the position. I kept thinking it is possible I am not yet strong enough to get up from the bottom position, however, a nagging doubt began creeping up in my mind: that the bars might be too wide as in the bottom position, more often than not, I'd end up resting near my elbows instead of middle region of upper arms.

I took a tape and measured the width: 28 inches!! That is 72 cm.

Which is 8 inches or 20 cm too wide as per official FIG norms here :http://www.unorp.br/downloads_blogs/Nomenclatura_dos_aparelhos.pdf   (Refer to the PB section )

--------

So I want to ask. Should I perhaps finally begin to train the support position in the rings? And as and when I start progressing in the support position, I commence Ring Dips?

Because I had planned my training this way:

PB Support Hold -> PB Dips -> PB Russian Dips -> XR Support Holds -> XR Dips

Any help and input regarding this will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks for going though my issue!

Klaudius Petrulis

Personally I would train support in the rings if there is no way you can do Russian Dips. R-Dips are a very difficult (and useful) exercise but I feel you can progress without them if you're worried about the width of the p-bars. Perhaps try training both? If you don't feel any discomfort/pain I would keep trying the R-Dips but incorporate the support holds to move forward.

I'm not an expert, just saying what I would do.  Would love to see other replies.

• Upvote 1

Personally I would train support in the rings if there is no way you can do Russian Dips. R-Dips are a very difficult (and useful) exercise but I feel you can progress without them if you're worried about the width of the p-bars. Perhaps try training both? If you don't feel any discomfort/pain I would keep trying the R-Dips but incorporate the support holds to move forward.

I'm not an expert, just saying what I would do.  Would love to see other replies.

Thank you Klaudius for your kind reply.

Indeed, it seems to me that that training support on the rings seems to be the only option left.

The reason I am hesitant about it is that I had had severe wrist pain the last time I tried training the support position on the rings https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/8059-wrist-pain-near-scaphoid-and-radius-of-right-hand/

Agreed, I was too weak at that time as I couldnt even hold the support position on the PB for 60s, but I really believe that only upon mastering Russian Dips would my "wrists" be strong enough to withstand all the shaking and random movement of the rings. Not to mention probably aiding in the development of Muscle Up.

Russian Dips I am sure would be of immense value to me now. Darn the parallel bars....whoever made them so wide! :o

FREDERIC DUPONT

Or if ring holds/dips are too difficult, maybe tying your rings to the PB with very short straps could solve your problem. :)

Or if ring holds/dips are too difficult, maybe tying your rings to the PB with very short straps could solve your problem. :)

Thank you for your reply FredInChina! Your idea is interesting but I am pleased to report that I have started incorporating XR Support Holds into my workout without attaching them to PB. I am quite pleased that after 8 months I can at least hold the rings steady. It is something which I was never able to do before :)

Of course, I haven't yet incorporated them fully into my schedule yet. I've backed off of regular PB dips from 3x8 to 1x8. But hey, it feels so good and such a relief to be eligible to train on the rings again  :D

I would have still liked to have mastered Russian dips before venturing into the rings, but maybe it isn't meant to be...