Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand Wall Runs

Coach Sommer

the HS obstacle course requires a free HS that can move downhill and uphill and deal with obstacles.

• 3 months later...

tihis exercice is a torture !!!

your athletes are just amazing , hold it during 10 min !!! :shock:

i incorporate some set of 15-20 sec in my routine. my shoulders burns with 20 sec so i can't imagine hold 10 min , i'll die !

but i love this exercice :)

• 3 weeks later...
Very good inded :D We used to compeet on this whoo will do more touches on the shoulders (without the wall).

How many can you do Gregor (without the wall)?

Very good inded :D We used to compeet on this whoo will do more touches on the shoulders (without the wall).

How many can you do Gregor (without the wall)?

I don't know, don't do this exercise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Coach!

i was wondering, why are the wall runs necessarily performed facing the wall? what's the difference?

i like the way these feel and the confidence they build alongside the strength element.

10 minutes seems like a dream - and i mean for simple wall handstands :)

Doing the HS stomach to wall, more often than not is done with more correct form.

Some of my boys and I have played with doing them back to wall and it's kinda weird. I dunno why, but at least for me because the body tends to be in at least a tight arch when done back to wall.

thanks bob!

i feel much the same (actually i'm still surprised i cn do this exercise at all!). i still wonder what the analytical reason is, but that's just the way i'm wired :)

• 1 month later...

I started doing HS wall run weekly/bi-weekly about a month ago. Prior to that I was fairly adept at the freestanding HS with an easy kickup and 30+s holds. I was also able to do wall-supported one-arm HS on the left side only (I'm southpaw.) But the right side eluded me and I wanted to feel more secure for longer periods. Enter the HS runs.

The first few weeks I thought to myself; this is stupid and I'm going to kill myself. Just getting up to HS facing the wall was an effort and rolling out sounded like a bull stampede... The 2nd and 3rd weeks I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. I started out with, maybe, 2x 15s. I might have gotten up a 3rd time but the arms were not touching the armpits.

Last Saturday I was practing my one-arm HS using a bench on the off-balance arm to stabilize. Amazingly, I was able to secure the HS on both sides. This is a new for me on the right.

So, this week I went at it again not expecting much. I got in 5 solid sets; 75s, 45s, 45s, 25s, 15s. The last one was brutal, no doubt but I was still amazed at the progress. I think Coach Sommer is right that more than 1-2x per week would be overdoing this exercise. But in terms of progress I'm happy...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is my weak link. I can do 8 straight arm press up from straddle L to handstand but in my act i have this press up at the end of my routine and there i cant do without benting my arms cause my shoulders get messed up by the previous positions and movements.

Z2RJ9AN3MV4

This will certanly increase the endurance for my press up at the end.

Maybe this will increase the control and balance for the one arm handstand too Coach?

BTW Ive tried the 10min wall runs and have to stop 6 times before i reach 10 min of worktime! God im feeling so weak when you tell your athletes do that without break. Im gonna insert 2x week and in 3 months ill return the results.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge Coach Sommer ill never figured that this non technical element will be so precious.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. No doubt handstand wall runs have become my real go-to floor exercise and certainly the one where I "feel" it the most. I was reading my post from November above and it made me smile. I've been doing 5-10 mins 1-2x weekly since then and feel it's the main driver behind my other GB progress. I can either do 10x30 runs or 2x45, 2x30, 5x20 runs. Each run takes about 1-2 secs.

Getting into the face to wall HS has become really second nature now. I start kneeling away from the wall, feet against the wall, put my hands down and jump my feet up. This puts my hands about 2 feet from the wall and I just walk them back till I'm vertical. Now I can really feel the "push" as I actively press against the floor to straighten my body as much as possible, scapulae out of the back, head down. The whole motion has become fluid. Quite satisfying.

Doing the runs I can really feel myself actively doing a one arm HS press. I've been trying to slow down the motion so as to simulate one arm HS. You get a real appreciation for the muscular, skeletal stacking necessary to maintain the one arm HS. I've refined my exit as well practicing the negative of HSPU to slowly let myself down onto my noggin' and then rolling out. That is a lot smoother operation now as well.

The goal now is to bring it to a good solid 10 minute routine and lengthen the "runs". One thing I have to constantly remind myself to do is thoroughly warm up my wrists with the wrist routine outlined here. The HS wall runs are tough on the wrists I think.

People at the gym think I'm completely nuts doing these things against the wall. I try to explain to them that the strength gains I've noticed in myself over just this short period I don't think could be easily replicated using weights alone...

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to slow down the motion so as to simulate one arm HS.

Great idea!

As long as you are consistently building the duration of your sets, experimenting with the steps tempo could be a valuable addition.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

I can guarantee you from experience that you can not replicate the gains from the wall runs with weights :P They are pretty awesome! I've been doing them once a week and I definitely notice improvements each week in multiple areas.

• Upvote 1

I've been doing them once a week and I definitely notice improvements each week in multiple areas.

Yes, that has been my experience as well. The improvements noted in my athletes have not been restricted to increased wall handstand duration; there have also been systemic increases in strength throughout the entire upper body. This has been particularly noticeable in athletes who began HS wall run work with a strength deficit in terms of press HS ability.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

I've been trying to slow down the motion so as to simulate one arm HS.

I've been 'enjoying' Wall Run intervals --- 20 seconds of Wall Runs, 10-second Right Arm Static Hold, 20 seconds of Wall Runs, 10-second Left Arm Static Hold.

The other variation that can be interesting is what I believe Blairbob has called 'Penguin Slappers,' where you touch your thigh, rather than the opposite shoulder.

best,

jason

I've been doing them once a week and I definitely notice improvements each week in multiple areas.

Yes, that has been my experience as well. The improvements noted in my athletes have not been restricted to increased wall handstand duration; there have also been systemic increases in strength throughout the entire upper body. This has been particularly noticeable in athletes who began HS wall run work with a strength deficit in terms of press HS ability.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Being in that category and really working to develop a solid HS Press, how soon would you recommend the wall runs, is a minute wall HS enough or is 5 min + the rock bottom min to start?

I've done HS for years, and can balance free easily but again not for a long time. I've realized from reading the forum and testing that this has been a big mistake. I should be spending much more time working the wall for time. That said if i have the urge to at least try getting my hands off the floor would that be a waste of time at this point?

how soon would you recommend the wall runs, is a minute wall HS enough or is 5 min + the rock bottom min to start?

One minute should be a minimum starting point. However remember also that the sooner you start HS Wall Runs, the sooner you will begin to reap the benefits.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Joshua Naterman

Well, after reading here I tried the slower pace of touching my hip instead of my shoulder, and it feels great! I like them both. My form is pretty ugly I think, my shoulder [in]flexibility would probably make Coach slap his forehead... :P But, I felt it even more in my shoulders, very exciting! I'm just glad I can do this at all. :)

I think these are helping me get deeper into my pseudoplanche pushups and are almost certainly responsible for me getting my first muscle up earlier tonight! YEA BOIIIII!!

I did this exercise 4 months ago (if my memory doesn't fail me) and the gains of strenght and muscle was very impresive. I don't know why I stopped doing it. I'll take it again :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do Hs wall run since a while now in my routine , but just by set of 30 - 40 sec ....

Today i wanted to do the 10 min challenge and to be honest it's one of the most hardest challenge i do in my life !

I stopped at 8.30 min and i did 13 set at total to do the 8 min 30 because my wrist but especially mu neck hurt me !!

I knew that's gonna be hard but not so much , however i have a pretty good skill , i can do more 30 HSPU on wall and more 10 free standing and even more hard trick ....

Well this challenge it is just @#$%^% crazy , and i cant imagine how someone are able to do 10 min in a row !!!!! :shock:

How many time per month i should do this challenge ?

jhave a nice day all

• 1 month later...
irongymnast

Will this exercise also benefit HS Pushups?

I've been doing HS for years but 10mins of Wall Runs sounds very very straining.

I'll try it for the first time next week when my arms get better.

• Coach Sommer unpinned this topic