Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advanced Frog Stand Problems

Frodocious

Hi Guys,

I'm having real problems moving from the basic frog stand (which I can do relatively easily for 60 seconds) to the advanced frog stand.

My main problem is that I can't keep my arms straight whilst doing the advanced frog stand - my elbows just seem to collapse. Is there any advice on how to keep the elbows straight? Is it ok to start doing these with a bend in the elbow and work on gradually straightening them as strength improves. Are there any supplementary exercises that will help with this progression?

Thanks in advance! :)

Coach Sommer

This sounds as though your current levels of basic arm strength are insufficient to elevate your body into the advanced frog stand. My recommendation is to focus on more pressing strength to bring up your strength deficit.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thank you for your quick reply Coach. I'll start working on pressing strength - will a mix of bodyweight stuff (like in the book) and weights work be ok?

Coach Sommer

The strength tool that you use is a matter of personal preference and whichever best suits your long term goals. The primary point, regardless of the tool chosen, is to focus on increasing your pressing strength.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

One more question...

Whilst I'm trying to build up pressing strength, should I stick to basic frog stands for longer holds (say 30-60 secs) or am I better off trying to get my arms as straight as possible for short periods on the advanced frog stand?

Coach Sommer

My preference is for you to pair regular straight arm embedded Frog Stands with your pressing movement for that workout. You may approach this several ways:

1) Perform 1-2 embedded static reps and then perform your pressing movement reps for that set. Rest several minutes

2) Perform 1 embedded frog stand rep, then perform your pressing movement reps and then finish that set with another embedded frog stand rep.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer