Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Progressions to reverse meathook?

Jake Lawrance

Jake Lawrance

Hey guys,

Currently I am seriously interested into learning or achieving a reverse meathook, I do have a meathook under my belt so just want to learn the reverse. However there are no sources on the internet as to what requirements beforehand are needed and how to 'learn' the positioning.

Any information on skill acquisition, requirements and progressions will be most appreciated! :)

Jake Lawrance

Yes, I have seen that video too, but the thread is more specific on the one arm back lever :/ It's not harder on aerials I believe you might just spin for awhile. Would you be able to share your progressions towards the reverse meathook? I'd be very grateful!

I suspect if handbalancer gets a glimpse at this post he could be able to help :)

Jake Lawrance

Sorry I was being ignorant, I thought I had seen that post before that I read a few nights before, but this one definitely has some good info! Tried the reverse meathooks on the rope today and really trying to arch my back over, I think I've got it, just need to remind myself it's ok to not have a straight alignment! Soon as I'm able to do it I'll upload a video :) Thanks very much for the thread! 

Mikael Kristiansen

Haha its funny to see that clip, I look inflexible and sloppy in many of the handstands. Then I know im at least getting better with time. The meathook switch stuff in there was very new at the time so its not very good either.

The reverse meathook is all about understanding bodyposition. Its not too much strength required to hang, though pulling into it is pretty heavy. You need to arch heavily and reach away with the free arm to find the balance in it. Arching into it from an inverted pike or back lever is a good way of getting there on 2 arms. Learn to hang with support from the other arm for  a while before trying to let go. Do it close enough to the floor so you can put your legs down if you fall out of it or else it might hurt your shoulder if you come down fast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David McManamon

Handbalancer's work is much more advanced than mine but I learned reverse meathook by first working on "forward side-planche" on the fabric to familiarize myself with the balance although this step could be skipped.  

The two easiest entrances to reverse meathook are:

1. From straddle back lever simply roll your hips to one side
  2. From inverted hang with legs in straddle slower lower your legs to one side (at first with a spot)

Keep in mind that you may be placing tension on your shoulder in an unfamiliar position so approach this move with awareness and a good warm-up. Thera-band rotator cuff strengthening and shoulder stretches are both recommended.

Personally I watched this video and like the way she preps for this move and often warm-up in the same way from 1:37 on.

Jake Lawrance

Thanks very much guys, all the info was extremely helpful! I'm already used to the position on my right arm and just gotta grow the balls to put the arm overhead like Handbalancer mentioned! My left arm is probably going to take a week extra, can't breathe too well on that side yet :P I would vote all of your answers as best but it wont let me :P Looking forward to my first reverse meathook :)