Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Calf Work

Robert Del Popolo

Robert Del Popolo

Ive always had small and undefined calves. Altough this forum is made for GST does anybody know any good exercises for the calves? Since I know very little about weight training with free weights, could anybody tell me if Weighted Calf raises are a good exercise and whether I should you some programming like in F1 or what we recieved in the Seminars.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Keilani Gutierrez

calves are an important component, as is the entire posterior chain, in explosive plyometric movements. you'll enjoy what Hari's prescribed, take care not to make yourself so sore that the next day you cant walk properly(i've done that) hahahahaha

Dieuwert Van der Wouw

calves are an important component, as is the entire posterior chain, in explosive plyometric movements. you'll enjoy what Hari's prescribed, take care not to make yourself so sore that the next day you cant walk properly(i've done that) hahahahaha

Did that a lot too... lol

I usually train them bodyweighted for very high reps as this seems to mimic their daily function better (every stap you take is sort of a calf raise). I don't know if it is the best way for hypertrophy but it works well for mine  

Robert Del Popolo

I wish i could even jump rope with two legs, as i stated in my workout log i try to jump rope, but my consistency isnt improving.

Anyways, i was really asking about the resistance and reps/sets. However thanks for those who replied.

Rob

Dieuwert Van der Wouw

For me it is very high reps (my only body part which can do this) so it is like rope jumping without the balance and explosive part. And by that I mean 4 sets of 40 to 80 repetitions. No resistance just progressions: double leg on the floor, double leg on step, single leg on floor, single leg on step. In the rest period i like to do a light stretch and train the opposite muscle by raising the toes.

This really workes hard on my calfs and has worked really well for me, but i am just a beginner

I read an interesting article on tnation.com by John Paul Catanzaro that used dancers as an example of an athlete with big calves. He argues that dancers have big calves because they spend a lot of time on their toes, leading to a high time under tension, and a lot of hypertrophy. He suggests performing 100 bodyweight calf raises with a 2-2-2 tempo, every day for a month. If size it what you're interested in, this will definitely get you there, although the other recommendations on this page are all valid.

Dieuwert Van der Wouw

I wouldn't start with that.. someone with untrained calves probably couldnt walk for a few days after 100 bodyweight calf raises in a set.. 

But high reps is great for the calves, just thake a look at cyclist, hypertrophy is the worst for them but they all got massive calves. I remember reading an article about Schwarzenegger that he would only walk on his toes in days before competition to pop up the calves.

Adam Williams

Sorry. Weighted calf raises are indeed a good exercise, if you want to try them. Aim for 3-6 sets of 12-15 reps. Meaning, find a weight that allows you do to tire out within that rep range. Standing calf raises will work your gastrocnemius and soleus; seated calf raises will isolate your soleus; reverse calf raises (dorsiflexion--pull toes up toward your shin) will work your tibialis anterior.

The other suggestions will also build size in your calves as long as you continue to increase the intensity on your calves. Sprinting and running hills are another suggestion...that's what made my calves big in high school.

FREDERIC DUPONT

I wish i could even jump rope with two legs, as i stated in my workout log i try to jump rope, but my consistency isnt improving.

Keep at it, that will come :)

This has been talked about before the forum got upgraded. So those posts are probably still somewhere in the search engine.

To recap:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/best_of_calves

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/841/Five_Tips_to_Help_You_Grow_Your_Calves__.aspx

Basically, you need a lot of volume in either reps and TUT. Especially if you are not involved in some sort of sport or activity that uses them a lot.

Obviously Olympic Weightlifting develops calves as does sprinting, jumping (basketball which also has short sprints), soccer to some degree, football, tumbling.

To KISS, you'll need some form of speed work be it jumping or sprinting tacked on with a LOT OF VOLUME. Keep in mind how much your calves are normally worked just walking around (if you walk around enough during the day and aren't nearly sedentary).

• Upvote 1

If you want to build your calves and want to get out of the gym I suggest inline hockey/skating.  I was heavily into inline hockey for 10 years  and would regularly do 6 mile laps in the park.  My calves were/are crazy.  Enough so that I had to have my ski boots modified.  

Petri Freundlich

Maybe running stairs would also be good for calf work? I know I have never had such sore calves as after some stair running. I had a few months break from it recently and after the first set I did, my calves were hurting for a week and I walked like a Donald duch for the first 4 days after the exercise.

I once did the horrible, horrible mistake of doing misconcepted barefoot running - way too much tip-toe running... about 9km. For days, I could barely walk, and for weeks it hurt like... something I can't really put into words.

Don't do it (without proper conditioning - should be a no-brainer *sigh*). Once your calves say "hey, we're getting kinda tired here" do not ignore. They will get their revenge.

Felt like getting a knife stabbed to my calf for every step I put too much weight on my toes. Oh the horror.

Stefan Hinote

I once did the horrible, horrible mistake of doing misconcepted barefoot running - way too much tip-toe running... about 9km. For days, I could barely walk, and for weeks it hurt like... something I can't really put into words.

Don't do it (without proper conditioning - should be a no-brainer *sigh*). Once your calves say "hey, we're getting kinda tired here" do not ignore. They will get their revenge.

Felt like getting a knife stabbed to my calf for every step I put too much weight on my toes. Oh the horror.

Heh, I did the exact same thing. Focused too much on making sure I landed on the front of my foot, and not heel--so much that I never let my heels even touch the ground haha.

- The heels should only touch the ground when walking, never when running.  

If you doubt the veracity of this statement; please take off your shoes, go outside in your barefeet, then SPRINT full speed down the sidewalk being sure to strike heel first on each and every step.  Afterwards limp back inside to your keyboard and be sure to share the joy of your experience with the rest of the forum.

- The issue was not running on the forefoot; the issue was not providing the feet and calves sufficient time to adapt to the new impact.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

FREDERIC DUPONT

- The heels should only touch the ground when walking, never when running.

Always learn from the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTMgIViinuQ

On top of the great captions on the video, please notice how Moses Mosop lands on the outside of his foot; Can you see how his foot is seeking to feel (see) the ground before applying weight/strength on it?

If you doubt the veracity of this statement;

please take off your shoes, go outside in your barefeet, then SPRINT

full speed down the sidewalk being sure to strike heel first on each and

every step.  Afterwards limp back inside to your keyboard and be sure

to share the joy of your experience with the rest of the forum

This is very naughty Coach :D

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

I think what Blairbob said is completely correct. You need either high volume in reps or TUT. If you look at Soccer players, who are some of the guys with (in my opinion) some of the best defined calves ever, you'll notice that they do tons and tons of maneuvering around the field that is very calf fatiguing. I used to do 10 sets of 30 reps every workout during rests / between sets and my calves grew a lot. I would also do 25-50 single leg calf raises (basically the same thing that coach mentioned) with 40 lbs. That stuff will do it!

And eat a lot of course. And properly.

Coach is spot on about no heel contact in running and also nice video FredInChina. The point of contact for each stride when running should be on the balls of the feet and not solely on the toes even in sprinting. It is because of the shoes with thick soles and heel support that made many people run incorrectly by striking heel first.

I think what Blairbob said is completely correct. You need either high volume in reps or TUT. If you look at Soccer players, who are some of the guys with (in my opinion) some of the best defined calves ever, you'll notice that they do tons and tons of maneuvering around the field that is very calf fatiguing. I used to do 10 sets of 30 reps every workout during rests / between sets and my calves grew a lot. I would also do 25-50 single leg calf raises (basically the same thing that coach mentioned) with 40 lbs. That stuff will do it!

I read that the gastrocnemius (upper calf muscle) is composed of mostly fast twitch fibers and that the soleus (lower calf muscle) is composed of mostly slow twitch fibers. So the gastrocnemius which is the bigger calf muscle should be worked with low reps and high intensity or just do a mass building (medium) rep range with medium intensity and more TUT if you just want bigger calves. The soleus gets worked a lot in endurance running. 

It's also very highly based on genetics since there are people who don't workout and have huge calves and there are sprinters and runners with small calves. I don't think calves are that important in sprinting anyways. I was a sprinter and we never did any direct calf work and neither did the distance runners. Almost all sprinters never do direct calf work since they get worked enough in sprinting and the time is better spent on working other exercises.

Dieuwert Van der Wouw

Come to think of it, I do think my 15 years of Football (soccer) experience helped my calves a lot. But note that you have to move your ankle in every direction, so the shins get a lot of work too. Maybe this overall development aids to the growing of the calves. Just like youre biceps will stop growing if you never did any work for the triceps...  

Michaël Van den Berg

The comment about ballet dancers was also spot on. Here's a pic of a Facebook friend of mine, a former professional ballet dancer:

267800_10150220787508723_455131_n.jpg

Quick Start Test Smith

I read that the gastrocnemius (upper calf muscle) is composed of mostly fast twitch fibers and that the soleus (lower calf muscle) is composed of mostly slow twitch fibers. So the gastrocnemius which is the bigger calf muscle should be worked with low reps and high intensity or just do a mass building (medium) rep range with medium intensity and more TUT if you just want bigger calves. The soleus gets worked a lot in endurance running. 

It's also very highly based on genetics since there are people who don't workout and have huge calves and there are sprinters and runners with small calves. I don't think calves are that important in sprinting anyways. I was a sprinter and we never did any direct calf work and neither did the distance runners. Almost all sprinters never do direct calf work since they get worked enough in sprinting and the time is better spent on working other exercises.

Hi B1214N,

True, genetics have a say in everything, and that is interesting to hear about the fast/slow twitch concentrated areas in the lower leg. However, it still seems to be the case that the majority of people with large, well defined calves are the ones who have the most volume. Ballet dancers (holy snap!), soccer players, tennis players to some extent, and the like. I don't doubt that the fast/slow twitch concentrations exist, but I think there are sufficient genetic variety in the sports mentioned that it's apparent even the genetically disadvantaged for large calves grow under the shear volume so it really doesn't matter if you put the time in.

Come to think of it, I do think my 15 years of Football (soccer) experience helped my calves a lot. But note that you have to move your ankle in every direction, so the shins get a lot of work too. Maybe this overall development aids to the growing of the calves. Just like youre biceps will stop growing if you never did any work for the triceps...  

True! I forgot to mention that. I always mirror my calf work with "shin flexions." I have no idea what a proper name name would be, but all you do is stand on your heels off a ledge, let your toes fall and point beneath your heels, and then flex them up toward your shin. I actually found that this is equally beneficial my lower leg shape as the actual calf raises.

The comment about ballet dancers was also spot on. Here's a pic of a Facebook friend of mine, a former professional ballet dancer:

Wow, yes indeed. That is just another example of the people with super high calf work volume with massive calves. That's a much better example than soccer players! Think I'll start ballet now :D