Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Modified Workout

Jeff Walker

So Everyone has been extremely helpful in helping me build a workout.  I tore through the BtGB book as well as the Overcoming Gravity book and I took every exercise I could find and I thre them together and ordered them similiar to my free weight workout so that the exercises are antogonistic, ie bench press, Row, etc.  

After a few weeks I eliminated many of them becuase they were just too dificult or easy.  Below is the remainder of exercises I have.  I know I still need to make further cuts but I am not sure what to keep or remove.  So below is my modified Workout. and below that are some questions I have.

I REALLY NEED FUTHER HELP IN DECIDING WHATS IMPORTANT AND WHATS NOT.  THANKS SOO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP ALREADY.

HOLDS:  Numbers for holds are in seconds
    1 .RINGS, Support = 45s, 40s, 30s, 32s 

2 .RINGS, G-Hang = 6s, 5s,4s

3 .RINGS, TFL Hold (tucked) = 6s 7s 5s 6s

4 .RINGS, TBL Hold = 5s 7s 7s 10s

5 .PARALETTES, Tuck Planche=  5s, 3s, 5s, 7a

6 .PARALETTES, L-Sit = 6s, 7s, 8s          

EXERCISES. The firts word is the implement I am using and I shoot for  3-4sets @ 3-8reps
     1 .PARALETTES, HSPU (Front 2 wall elbows in) = 5lb × 5,  5lb × 2,  0 Ã— 3,  0 Ã— 2    

2 .RINGS, False Grip PU = 4, 4, 4, 3    

3. PARALETTES, HSPU (Back 2 wall elbows out) 2, 2, 2, 
     4. RINGS, Pull-Ups  = 10x10, 15lbx8, 10x6, 
      5. RINGS, Shoulder Hand Stand (from support done as reps and tried to hold) x3, x2, x1

6.  RINGS, Chinups = 25lbx4, 10lb x 6, 10lb x6
     7. PARALETTES, planche pushups (feet on Wall)  x3, x2, x2, 
     8.  RINGS, Tuck Inv Rows = 25lb x 9, 25lb x 8, 10lb x 6
     9. PARALETTES, PLanche pushup palms put hands at side = 25×5,    25x4,    25×4    
    10. RINGS, TUcked FL Pullups = 7, 7, 5
     11.  RINGS, Pushups = 25lb x 9, 35lb x 5, 35 x 7
     12.  PARALLEL BARS, Inv Shrug = 8, 8, 6
     13. RINGS, Block Cross Pullouts = 4, 3, 2, 
      14. PARALETTES, L-Sit Pull Through - Did not do 
      15. RINGS, Ring Flies =  4, 4
      16. TRX Reverse Fly  = 5 , 6
      17. RINGS, Dips  = 10lb x 5, 10lb x 5, 0 x 7
      18. ROPE, Rope Climb -  did not do too much setup time 
      19.  .RINGS, Dips (Wide)- did not do 
      20. HBAR, OAC Negative -    i tried but was very hard    

21.  RINGS, Skull Crusher x7, x7, x5
      22.  TRX, Bicep Curls Ã— 8, 8, 6

23. .PARAS, Tiger Pushups = 8,6

24. TRX, Hammer Curls = Did not do 
      25. RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (Inv Hang) = did not do 
      26. RINGS, Tuck FL Pullouts (Inv Hang) = did not do 
      27. RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (D-Hang) = did not do 
      28.  RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (G-Hang) = did not do

HOLD QUESTIONS 

1) Rings support i felt was pretty easy - should i keep doing them?
2) L hang i will move to my weights day 
3) Should I dothe holds as a routine in other words hold support for 60s then move to german hang etc - is this a good idea?  

EXERCISE QUESTIONS

1) HSPU - Shoudl I do both back 2 wall and front 2 wall?

2) Fasle Grip  Pullups - These were very hard and hurt my wrist - Should I keep these in?

3) Should I remove some variations of pullups/chinups?

4) I am working on Planche pushups and I do them with Paralettes and feet on wall and also do them on with my hands further back and wrist rotated outward (RTO) Should I do both of these, if not which one?

5) Im doing Pullups, Chinups and FL pullups  as well as False grip - Too mUch> what should I remove?

6) PARALETTES, L-Sit Pull Through - Here I am trying to move my legs from Lsit through w/o touching ground - should I keep this?

7) Ring Flies - Should I keep them?

8) Dips - should i do them regular or wide or both?

9)) Biceps - Rope climb or Negative OA or Assited OAC or both
10) I didnt do pullouts at the end somene before Told me to remove them but still not sure thoughts?

11) Anything I should ADD?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the post/

Yes I know that it is too much, that's why I am trying to determine what to eliminate.   For example BtGB shows HSPU back to wall with elbows out while OG reccomends doing them chest 2 wall with elbows in.  Which one should I do?  Does it matter?  

I posted my workout so you can get an idea of where I am currently out and I am just trying to determine what to eliminate.  Rings Dips - Wide or Regular, etc?  

I certainly dont intend to do all of this everytime, I first had to eliminate what I couldnt do and now I am trying to eliminate the unecessary exercises, overlap, etc

The very first thing that I noticed is that your german hang time is incredibly low. If that's all you can hold it for, you have no business doing BL work. I know it sounds lame, but BL is very easy to injure yourself with, so it's important that you know what you're doing. Also, you L-sit time is very low too, especially even if it's on parallettes, so you should not be doing tucked planche.

You said ring support was easy, but looking at your other stuff, chances are, you're doing it wrong. Don't allow the straps to touch your body and don't allow your forearms to touch the rings. If you can still do that easily, then move onto a front support.

In my experience, false grip pull-ups were not necessary. I just worked on holding a false grip and as soon as I could do that, I could already do pull-ups with it.

THERE'S WAY TOO MANY EXERCISES HERE!!! I'll tell you which # exercises should be removed.

Completely get rid of all of those exercises, they're a complete waste of time. Even with the amount of exercises I removed, there's still a lot, and should not be done all in one workout. You need to re-construct your routine.

and, I think you're trying to do things that you're not ready for. That's just an easy road to disappointment and injury.

Pick two push and two progressions. Whether you get these from OG or BtGB does not matter, just pick. Print them out and throw a dart for all I care.

Your routine starts with warmup, followed by skill work. Support and handstand are like that. L-sit can also fall in this category. You can also do bodyline stuff like hollow holds here.

Then just do the right progression for the four exercises you picked (make sure they're tough so you don't need a huge amount of reps to tire out) and add a leg exercise or two.

That's it.

As for exercise descriptions, BtGB is not always accurate, because as Coach put it: "these exercises are very easy for my athletes, so we didn't pay very strict attention to form." So I'd go with OG.

Ok So I will Def remove

Back 2 wall HSPU

False Grip Pullups

Ring Flies

Reverse Fly

One of the TRX bicep Curls

Skull Crushers

Wide Dips

Ok, I made some more cuts.  How is this?  I have about 1hr 15min to workout.  My goal is strength and hopefully one day I will be able to do soem of the skills like Muscle-Up, Levers, etc. Thanks

HOLDS:  Numbers for holds are in seconds
    1 .RINGS, Support = 45s, 40s, 30s, 32s 

2 .RINGS, G-Hang = 6s, 5s,4s

3 .RINGS, TFL Hold (tucked) = 6s 7s 5s 6s

4 .RINGS, TBL Hold = 5s 7s 7s 10s

5 .PARALETTES, Tuck Planche=  5s, 3s, 5s, 7a

6 .PARALETTES, L-Sit = 6s, 7s, 8s        

7. FLOOR, HANDSTANDS 

EXERCISES. The firts word is the implement I am using and I shoot for  3-4sets @ 3-8reps
      1 .PARALETTES, HSPU (Front 2 wall elbows in)  

2 .RINGS, Rope Climb

3. Rings, Shoulder Support (from rings Support)
      4. RINGS, Pull-Ups   

5. PARALETTES, Psuedo Planche Pushup Feet on Wall

6.  RINGS, Tucked Inverted Row

7. RINGS, planche pushups RTO (Feet Elevevated)
       8.  RINGS, Tuck FL Pullups/Rows

9. RINGS, Weighted Pushups (possibly Archer)

10. RINGS, Chinups

11. RINGS, Block Cross Pullouts 
      12. PARALETTES, L-Sit Pull Through  
      13. RING, Dips

14. RINGS, Inverted Curls (Probably not going to be able to do) if not trx curls

15. PARAS, Tiger Pushups  

16. TRX Curls (one-arm)

17. RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (Inv Hang)

18. RINGS, Tuck FL Pullouts (Inv Hang) 
      19. RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (D-Hang) 
      20.  RINGS, Tuck BL Pullouts (G-Hang) 

Joshua Slocum

I might say to do a little more than two push/two pull, but certainly no more than 6. That may seem like much too little. One of key points of GST however is an emphasis on quality over quantity. The idea is to be performing high intensity, high quality movements. You may not 'feel the burn' as much afterwards as you are used to. But the strength will come. 

• Upvote 1

I am approaching thisf rom a diff perspective than most here so I expect my workout to look different.   Im a a weightlifet whose come to appreciate the gymnastic ring / bodyweight stuff.  My main goal is still to do an upper body workout, I just rotate between doing that with weights and then doing that with Rings.

2 pushes and 2 pulls def would not feel right. I wouldnt feel like I got a complete workout.  My main goal is strength and secondary is the movements.  Im hoping as my strength increases the movements will come.  But I would reccomend a free weight workout with just 2 pushes and 2 pulls, not enough volume there.  

FYI my free weight workout looks like this FYI

Flat Bench | Seated Row

Military Press | Pullups

Incline Bench | Smith Shrugs

Pec Dec | Rev Flies

Lateral Raise | Cable Iron Cross

Curls | Dips

Preacher Curls | Skull Crushers

Joshua Slocum

If you just want to replace weightlifting movements with equivalent body-weight movements without making any programming changes, your routine as-is would be fine.

I want to do both.  I want to mimic my free weight workout with bodyweight/Ring stuff but I also want to work on the progressions.  I dont see how they're seperate really.  

Joshua Slocum

I want to do both.  I want to mimic my free weight workout with bodyweight/Ring stuff but I also want to work on the progressions.  I dont see how they're seperate really.  

'Programming' refers to the way that a workout is structured. I.e. how many exercises, how many sets/reps, how much rest, etc. You can go through the bodyweight progressions with any kind of programming. But a bodyweight-style program will get you through them fastest  :)

So im still not sure on a few variants. Again im still trying to do an upper body workout an want to hit all upper body muscles. so part of my confusion is - if i do pushups rto does that hit the chest like regular or does it work triceps more etc

Also with these variants is it better to move through the different progressions or just add weight to the movements or both?

Pullups - should i be doing weighted pullups, archers, or L-Pullups and do i donany chinups?

Pushups, RTO rings, weighted, or archer, psuedo planche wall? Etc

Dips, weighted or wide, or L-dips

Im not sure which of these variants i should be using

Joshua Slocum

So im still not sure on a few variants. Again im still trying to do an upper body workout an want to hit all upper body muscles. so part of my confusion is - if i do pushups rto does that hit the chest like regular or does it work triceps more etc

It will work them both to the same degree. It will work the smaller stabilizing muscles more than a normal pushup, though. 

Also with these variants is it better to move through the different progressions or just add weight to the movements or both?

It's always better to progress rather than adding weight.

Pullups - should i be doing weighted pullups, archers, or L-Pullups and do i donany chinups?

Archers and L-Pullups are both good. Chinups are a separate exercise. 

Pushups, RTO rings, weighted, or archer, psuedo planche wall? Etc

Do the hardest variation you can perform cleanly, in enough volume. PPP > Archer > RTO rings. Don't bother with weighted.

Dips, weighted or wide, or L-dips

Wide dips are good, L-dips are good, and russian dips are good. 

Thanks for the info.

Would it be a good idea to have 2 different workouts. One where I move through the progressions and another where I do weighted stuff? Ie one workout I do weighted dips and then next time I do Wide Dips?

Also, Should I work on chinups or just focus on pull-ups? Actually I do want to work on Rope climb, so that would be equivalent to chin ups correct?

Another Question are Tucked FL pullups - Are they are ROW or actually a PULLUP. They appear to be of a ROW?

I did another workout and made some further changes

Warmup/Holds - I do these in a curcuit style.  No rest.  3 sets

L-Hang - Didnt do today but decided it was good to include for abs

L-Sit on Parallettes (My hold is getting longer about 10-15sec

Handstands.  I had 2 really good handstands about 6s.  

Tuck Planche.  I use parallel bars and try to get my back flat and lean forward can get about 7-10s

G-Hang - getting better

Tucked FL Hold - Hard to keep my body straight

Tucked BL Hold - easier than Front 

Exercises

1) HSPU (Chest 2 wall, elbows in) 5, 3, 3, 2

2) Rope Climb (I just get maybe one or two pulls then I superset with weighted Chins 25x8,7,6

3) Rings SHoulder Stand From Support (My goal is to work to an Elbow Ring Strap Press) 4, 3, 2, 2, 

4) L-Pullups (Amazing how much harder they felt tryign to keep L position, 8,8,7,7

5) Tuck Planche Pushup on Parallel Bars (i can get 1 or 2 reps, then I superset with Wall PPP.  These are much easeir than the tuck

6) Tucked FL Pullups - Is this a Row or Pullup?  

7) RTO Pushup Feet Elevated, 7, 6, 5, 

8) Tucked Inverted Row, I like this exercise but its kind of similiar to Tucked FL pullups not sure if I should do both or not

9) Block Cross Pullouts./  With feel on a box and body angled I just lower as far as I can go and back up, 4, 5, 4,

10) Dips, I tried L dips and they are much harder did one set of them, then did weighted 10lbs dips for about 4-5 reps

11) Inverted Curls.  I hang inverted and try to only use my biceps to curl up as far as I can go

12/13.  I finish with a 2 sets set of Tiger Pushups fors tris and 1 arm (lean to the side Bicep Curls)

This takes about 1hr and 15min.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  A few things Im not sure on

Pushups/planche confuse me.  The tucked planche pushup is easier according to Overcoming gravity than wall PPP.  But I find the tuck planche pushup WAY HARDER.  

Also RTO Pushups arent that bad, I was getting 5 good clean reps - I guess I start moving the rings sway from my body (towards Maltese position?)  OR do I add weight?

Also not sure which Rows I should be doing.  I can do tucked inverted with about 25lbs on me, not sure if I should begin archer Rows or One Arm Rows.  

Tucked FL Pullups are pretty hard to keep body in a straight line, last few sets form was bad and they just looked like akward pullups.  Are they a pullup or a row?